Find the answer to your Linux question:
Everytime I try to use my USB stick to boot xubuntu I get it to boot once then it says missing operating system the next time i try and boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

problem booting with USB stick

Everytime I try to use my USB stick to boot xubuntu I get it to boot once then it says missing operating system the next time i try and boot off of it. I have to reinstall xubuntu every time, why is this? I always shut down the PC completely before taking the drive out.

Its a 2GB lexar Drive

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Since the installation probably put the grub boot loader in the hard drive MBR, it is possible that something has munged the boot loader. In any case, you aren't providing enough information to determine what exactly is going on. Personally, I've never seen this. Also, which version of Xubuntu are you running?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Ug. Sounds like GRUB has it's panties in a bunch. Try installing the LILO bootloader on your Xubuntu install. GRUB is touchy. I actually made a rescue CD with my kernel and initrd so I could boot my machine and reinstall GRUB if I somehow messed it up.

Oh, and I forget how, but you can also install EXTLinux as a bootloader. It doesn't suck, either. It's syslinux for extfs.