Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using three languages to check spelling in evolution, firefox and gnote: English / United States Dutch / Netherlands Croatian / Croatia The problem is that the language list is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question [SOLVED] Too many languages

I'm using three languages to check spelling in evolution, firefox and gnote:
    • English / United States
    • Dutch / Netherlands
    • Croatian / Croatia

The problem is that the language list is huge, what makes switching between the languages difficult. There are more than 20 types of English spelling and 3 Duch spellings (see the screen-shot).

I tried uninstalling the dictionaries, but only three dictionaries are installed on my system hunspell-en, hunspell-nl & hunspell-hr. Uninstalling, for example hunspell-en, removes all English types, including the United States one.

I would like to configure this language list, so that only the relevant languages are displayed.
    Can someone please show me which file I need to edit?

Fedora_20@Dell_Latitude_E6410
    Ubuntu_14.04_LTS@HP_Compaq_DC7100

Press Alt+F2 and type alacarte. Its a Menu editor. Check it will allows you to remove entries from Language list.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks! That a good idea, I never thought of alacarte.

Unfortunately alacarte seems to have no language options, it is strictly for editing the The Main GNOME Menu.
    I found in there one application related to the language support (system-config-language), but that one is setting the default language for the system. Not really what I need.

Any other ideas?
    Is there maybe some hunspell configuration file? So far I found nothing in /etc !
    Where are these dictionaries installed anyway?

Lightbulb

I just learned that /usr/share/myspell is the place of dictionaries.

By deleting the unnecessary languages, at least for gnote and thunderbird, the dictionary list is reduced. Now I can easily chose between the three dictionaries that I frequently use:

* English (en_US)
    * Dutch (nl_NL)
    * Croatian (hr_HR)

Unfortunately, this action does not affect the firefox dictionary list. There is still a huge list of dictionaries to choose from.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Are you using Fedora? If so I have noticed that by default they install a lot of languages. Run yumex and go through the package list and uninstall the packages that you do not need.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    Are you using Fedora? If so I have noticed that by default they install a lot of languages. Run yumex and go through the package list and uninstall the packages that you do not need.
    That is not required, today I noticed that also firefox dictionary list contains only three desired languages, although I didn't configure anything since my last reply. Possibly a reboot was required.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    I made the suggestion above because it appears that you simply deleted files in /usr/share/myspell. Uninstalling the languages you do not need would have been more ideal in my opinion because at the moment the package manager thinks those files are still in the system and this can cause problems or conflicts when upgrading or installing packages that are related to, or that depend on the files you deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    I made the suggestion above because it appears that you simply deleted files in /usr/share/myspell. Uninstalling the languages you do not need would have been more ideal in my opinion because at the moment the package manager thinks those files are still in the system and this can cause problems or conflicts when upgrading or installing packages that are related to, or that depend on the files you deleted.
    That is exactly the point. There is nothing to uninstall:
    Code:
    [root@dc7100 myspell]# yum list hunspell*
    Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, presto, refresh-packagekit, remove-with-leaves, security, show-
                  : leaves, verify
    Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
     * fedora: mirror.sov.uk.goscomb.net
     * rpmfusion-free: mirror.andreas-mueller.com
     * rpmfusion-free-updates: mirror.andreas-mueller.com
     * rpmfusion-nonfree: mirror.andreas-mueller.com
     * rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: mirror.andreas-mueller.com
     * updates: mirror.eurid.eu
    Installed Packages
    hunspell.i686                    1.2.8-17.fc13                      @anaconda-InstallationRepo-201005130056.i386
    hunspell-en.noarch               0.20100322-1.fc13                  @updates                                    
    hunspell-hr.noarch               1:0.20040608-4.fc12                @fedora                                     
    hunspell-nl.noarch               1.10-2.fc13                        @fedora                                     
    Available Packages
    hunspell-af.noarch               0.20080825-3.fc12                  fedora                                      
    hunspell-ak.noarch               0.3-1.fc12                         fedora                                      
    hunspell-am.noarch               0.20090704-2.fc12                  fedora                                      
    The only way to get rid of the surplus languages is to manually remove them from the /usr/share/myspell directory.