Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All I am a Newbie to Linux. I have a folder LOGS under the path /d01/App1/LOGS. Since my application generates lots of log files under this LOGS directory , ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

File redirection

Hi All

I am a Newbie to Linux.
    I have a folder LOGS under the path /d01/App1/LOGS. Since my application generates lots of log files under this LOGS directory , I have been asked to move this to the different path which is in a different file system /d00/LOGS.

My application is configured in such a way that the log files will be written only under this path /d01/App1/LOGS. All I have to do is to re direct this path to /d00/LOGS.
    So when my application is trying to write a log file under this /d01/App1/LOGS path , all it has to do is not write in that path instead it has to write in /d00/LOGS path.

I tried to use symbolic soft links but could not succeed in achieving the same.

Would appreciate the help on this.

Thanks
    Rajesh.

Can this application be configured by a conf file to use another log directory or is the path hardcoded to /d01/App1/LOGS ?
    If it would be hardcoded: File a ticket for the responsible developer.

If I understand correctly, the server is already having problems, as you have been asked to move the logs. Disk space or performance issues maybe?

Two possible adhoc fixes:
    a) introduce and configure logrotate.
    The tool logrotate can make sure a logfile does not get bigger than X bytes, and keeps Y generations, optionally gzipping older files.
    It will drop logfiles, that fall out of that rotation.

b) if you do need all the logs and there is enough space on /d00/LOGS, then you could do a "bind mount" from /d00/LOGS to /d01/App1/LOGS
    Code:
    man mount
    The workflow for that quick fix would be:
    - Shut down the application
    - copy files from /d01/App1/LOGS to /d00/LOGS
    - if the copy was succesful, delete them from /d01/App1/LOGS/
    - define the bind mount in /etc/fstab
    - mount /d01/App1/LOGS/
    - start the application

The clean way:
    - configure the application to use the new log path
    - consider the use of logrotate
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    If the path is hard coded all over the app, and /d00 and /d01 are different file systems, then you are in deep doo-doo unless you have root access to `mount` as Irithori described.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I am curious as to why symlinks do not work. You can easily make /d01/App1/LOGS actually point to /d00/LOGS. Symlinks do not care about linking to a different filesystem.
    Code:
    ln -s /d00/LOGS /d01/App1/LOGS
    When you run this, what error are you getting?