Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm using Red Hat Linux 9 with default settings. 1st problem:I connect to the Internet with a isdn ta, but mine is not listed in supported models so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH9 (connection monitor + packages)

Hello,
    I'm using Red Hat Linux 9 with default settings.
    1st problem:I connect to the Internet with a isdn ta, but mine is not listed in supported models so I made a connection as it would be an analog modem.
    Actually it works, but I'd like to have something tells me the status of the connection, like na icon in the panel or something similar. I tried the "modem lights" gnome panel applet, but these lights don't turn on or off.
    Do you know a solution or an application for my purpose?

2nd problem: I don't like very much rh9 installing packages app, because it doesn't show all the packages that could be installed with rh9!
    Only a the major packages are listed: so how can I know what package to install and in wich cd is? For example, I wanted to install Sylpheed, but running "Install packages" sylpheed doen't appear: so I had to browse each cd's to search for it, and once found I had to install manually.
    What did you solve this problem? (I'm sure everyone have it!)

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    As for the first problem, I don't really think that I can't help you. I haven't used a modem in years. I guess you can always check with ifconfig how much has been transmitted or received on the PPP interface, if that's what you want.

As for the second problem, I never use either the GUI tools or the CDs. I just go to http://rpmfind.net/, download the package I want and install it with the rpm command. Although I do prefer source distributions, of course.

Linux User
    1. when I used ISDN, i remeber using QTisdnLinux. The qtisdnlinux allows you to switch from one line, to double, gives templates of ISP's, and is avalible in many language. check it out

2. Maybe you can use apt for redhat? like, installing sylpheed will be as painless as doing an apt-get install sylpheed.

Good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

About rh9

Hello friend, my kind advice to u is that redhat linux is aimed at occupying the boxes of home users. so they are porting all console based applications to GUI based as like windows ( will be evident from installation itself ). Many things are not open in it which includes one of which u specified.

If u are very curious and like only working in the console try installing GNU/Debian Linux. If ur successful in installing and configuring perfectly according to ur hardware at the first time itself then u r really a great man.

I am a Redhat Certified Engineer, and I have used Redhat 7.0, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 but now (for the past 6 months ) I am using Debian Linux -3.0. Iam much satisfied with it.

Linux Guru
    I do believe that all things that they do are open (as in free), aren't they? The package manager, if that's what you were referring to, is most certainly free. All the python source files are available under /usr/share/redhat-config-packages/.
    I don't really believe that all these GUI tools are primarily for home users, but rather for low-life sysadmins migrating from Winbloze. Why else would they include bluecurve in their advanced server... =)

Linux User

apt-get

I installed a redhat version of apt-get and then using this tool downloaded synaptic. synaptic is a gui front to apt. apt allows you to query apt repositries of rpms on the web and auto downloads and installs them sorting out dependencies automatically.

I found that I need this coz I broke my last install updating gnome from rpm.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.