Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've heard that the official eeePC linux, xandros, does not have a swap partition by default, with the explanation that it would create more accesses to the sdd, making it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

eeePCs and swap partition, or lack thereof

I've heard that the official eeePC linux, xandros, does not have a swap partition by default, with the explanation that it would create more accesses to the sdd, making it slower than it would be if it were relying only on the RAM.

Phoronix has a few benchmark tests with eeePCs and various linux distributions, and Xandros does exceptionally better over the competition in the write performance:

However, here the Eee-optimized Xandros distribution won both for random read and for write performance. The margins were small for Bonnie++ but Xandros had a noticeable lead with IOzone write performance.

In some tests the stock Eee Linux distribution was running quite slow and placing far behind Mandriva, Fedora, and Ubuntu, but when it came to the solid-state disk performance Xandros had the lead. Overall though, it appears that Ubuntu 8.10 Alpha 4 had delivered the best performance on the Intel Atom architecture.

[Phoronix] ASUS Eee PC 901 / Intel Atom: Linux Distribution Comparison
    Could this advantage be attributed to the lack of swap partition, or does Xandros has something specially designed to be better for eeePCs in this regard?

Linux Guru
    A swap partition is unwise in a solid state drive (ssd). The reason is because a ssd has a limited number of read/writes, compared to a regular hard drive. Eliminating the swap partition will reduce the number of read/writes, and then extend the life of the ssd. You should install the maximum amount of memory, to make up for the elimination of the swap partition.

This is also true of the file system used. The default file system, ext3, is a journaling file system. This also has increased read/writes to the drive. Using the ext2 file system instead is also recommended for a ssd.

I don't know anything about the Xandros distribution, so I can't comment on it's performance. I do know that experienced Linux users hate it, and quickly replace it. That is what I did. I increased the memory to 2GB, and installed Ubuntu's regular version.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Xandros distribution, experienced Linux users hate it,quickly replace it
    yep

A swap partition is unwise in a solid state drive (ssd). The reason is because a ssd has a limited number of read/writes, compared to a regular hard drive.
    yep

This is also true of the file system used. The default file system, ext3, is a journaling file system. This also has increased read/writes to the drive. Using the ext2 file system instead is also recommended for a ssd.
    yep. That is why my Asus EEE 900 runs AntiX 8.5 on Ext2 file system. 4 gig SSD is / partition. 16 gig SSD is ext2 2 /home partition. Boots as fast as Xandros did. Everything works pretty much as Xandros did but with more options and dexterity and speed. And I upgraded mine to 2 gig of ram also.

And yep. I know where the Xandros isos are
    Index of /EeePC/iso
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Oh, I wonder how those tests would have been if they had enabled Xandros Advanced Desktop with Kde instead of the easy mode which is Icewm . Icewm will run circles around Fedora and Mandriva Gnome and KDE Desktops because they are more resource hogs in idle than Icewm is which would slow down things. Doesn't sound fair to me.

All settings from the distribution were left within their stock configuration.

I would believe it better if they paired up some icewm or fluxbox desktops in Mandriva or Fedora or even AntiX (which never gets any press no hows, just word of mouth). So I take their tests with a grain of salt. No Debian test with Icewm Desktop which is all Xandros is really. Debian Etch with Icewm (disabled/crippled/needs to be fully enabled to get the benefits of icewm) with KDE in the background if you want to use it.

Edit: and I see Dapper Dan looking at this thread. I know he can say Crux can run circles around most any operating system. Ha.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home