Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking to purchase a SATA PCI expansion card. Can anyone recommend one they've used in Linux that's not troublesome? Are SATA PCI cards like SCSI host adapters in the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

SATA PCI

I'm looking to purchase a SATA PCI expansion card. Can anyone recommend one they've used in Linux that's not troublesome?

Are SATA PCI cards like SCSI host adapters in the sense that you can configure them before the OS loads? How else would hardware RAID be possible?
    The best things in life are free.

Re: SATA PCI

Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    Are SATA PCI cards like SCSI host adapters in the sense that you can configure them before the OS loads? How else would hardware RAID be possible?
    I can't speak for PCI SATA cards, but my onboard SATA controller does allow you to configure the RAID before the OS boots. It's essentially like another BIOS screen. I would think (though I'm not sure) that PCI controllers would operate the same way.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Yea, my guess is that any SATA PCI card will have to let you into it's BIOS to handle hardware RAID. Otherwise, it would be impossible to do it.
    The best things in life are free.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close