Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! Wanted to clone my XP partition into my VirtualBox without going through the hassles of another installation. I googled and even asked the VB forums but I had a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Clone XP Partition to my VirtualBox

Hi!

Wanted to clone my XP partition into my VirtualBox without going through the hassles of another installation. I googled and even asked the VB forums but I had a little difficulty in understanding their suggestions. They gave me a link that looked a little too technical for me.

I would like to give it a try if somebody in LF already had successfully done it before?

I hope you can share how you did it please so I can also follow. I want to clone my XP partition and make it work in my VirtualBox hosted by my Mint 7.

Thank you all!

By the way, I tried to use MC to copy the whole partition to VB. I was able to but:

1) It was not bootable. The files seemed complete though.
    2) It was not .vdi
    Last edited by nujinini; 04-19-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The main reason why you cannot do that is the fact that a VM is "new" hardware to XP, so the drivers will, out of necessity, be different. IE, it is the same as installing XP on a new machine. If you have a tool to clone XP to new hardware (something like Linux's Clonezilla), then maybe you can do this, but otherwise, you are SOL and will have to do it the hard way.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The main reason why you cannot do that is the fact that a VM is "new" hardware to XP, so the drivers will, out of necessity, be different. IE, it is the same as installing XP on a new machine. If you have a tool to clone XP to new hardware (something like Linux's Clonezilla), then maybe you can do this, but otherwise, you are SOL and will have to do it the hard way.
    OK thanks!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Once you configure/start your virtual machine (before installing Windows), you might be able to use something like LapLink to clone the system. In my case, I simply installed Windows from scratch, installed Guest Additions, updated the OS, and installed my other software. As usual, it was a PITA, but there were no issues doing it that way. I had to futz with the Linux configuration a bit to get USB pass-thru working in order to use my bluetooth dongle and Epson printer, but that was about the extent of it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

going from a physical install to virtual might also cause windows to not boot, since your machine will change as far as it is concerned, and they don't let the hardware change too much before blowing up