Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by m0esgirl oooh it was a one. i thought it was the straight line haha If you mean in the command, it's actually a lower-case letter L. Lots ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Quote Originally Posted by m0esgirl View Post
    oooh it was a one. i thought it was the straight line haha
    If you mean in the command, it's actually a lower-case letter L. Lots of people mistakenly type a number 1 and that's why I suggested copy/paste for the command.
    oz

Just Joined!
    okay got it. now i cant copy and paste cuz im on my desktop while trying to fix his netbook, so im gonna type out everything that popped up....

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xc0bf6260

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 19086 153308263+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 19087 19457 2980057+ 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 19087 19457 2980026 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. It is clear that there is no Windoze recovery partition there. To bad. I think you need to contact Asus tech support for a Windows boot/installation disk now. You could purchase a fully licensed copy at your local Best Buy or such, but it is a lot more than you really want to pay. A copy from Asus will likely be a lot cheaper. The salient point here is how quickly you need to get it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    so the support dvd they gave us with the netbook is no good? i was trying to open it and copy info to the 1g sd card we have but its obviously not big enough for all the info on the dvd, and i dont know which folders i'd need. but its useless because there is no recovery partition?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ah. You have a dvd that was supplied with the system. If you have an external (USB) DVD player/recorder you are golden. You can boot from that and reinstall (hopefully) the system. My guess is that the DVD you have is either a Windows installation CD/DVD, or a recovery CD/DVD. In either case, you will need to boot from it directly and not copy it to an SD card or USB thumb drive.

Just Joined!
    yeah we dont have one of those. maybe ill find a friend that does somewhere, until then i guess this thing will gather dust haha thanks for all your help!!!

You can get one (USB CD/DVD player/recorder) from a lot of tech stores (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc) for about $50. Useful little buggers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2