Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this? im trying to do it for my husband while he's working, and all i can find is people saying to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uninstall linux mint 8 helena from asus netbook

i was wondering if anyone knew anything about this? im trying to do it for my husband while he's working, and all i can find is people saying to boot from windows xp cd ( its the os we had before) but its a netbook, and we have a thumbdrive and usb port can ANYONE help me? he said he wants linux completely gone, he doesnt have time to learn all about it, and he just wants windows xp back.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quick/easy answer - get a new husband! Really, why does he want XP back on his netbook (in truth)? If it came with XP on the SSD, I don't suppose that the vendor provides a "recovery" tool to reinstall it? Remember, XP is licensed. On the bottom of the computer you should find the license key. Next step is to get an XP image that can be written to the SSD. Since you aren't providing any information about the netbook or what hardware (SSD, SD card storage, processor, memory, etc) there isn't much beyond the vaguest generalities we can provide you as for help.

Ah! I re-read the subject line and see that it is an Asus device. What model (and other information) is it?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    he wants xp because he's having trouble figuring linux out, i dont know exactly what he wants to do in linux, but he just wants xp back. he's in the navy and he's about to go to key west for two weeks and xp is easier, not so much to learn about it. the netbook he has is an asus eee pc 1005HAB, i have no idea what ssd is, but he has two external usb ports, no cd drive, has what i can only explain as regular sized sd card port, 1g ddr2 memory ,and i think the processor is intel atom270 (im just typing the words on the side of the box) so if you need anymore info let me know, hopefully you can help me! thanks for replying.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Understood - much of what I thought, though I didn't know about the Navy thing. So, did the computer come with XP or Win7 installed on it? Or was this a Linux box from the factory?

Also, doesn't it have a 160GB hard drive?

From a quick look on the Asus web site, I see that one can download a lot of updates for BIOS, drivers, etc, but not the basic operating system that came with it, which was Windows XP Home Edition. I think you will need to contact Asus tech support to get either an XP image you can burn to an external CD, or to send you an installation CD, which you will most likely have to pay for. Usually systems like this have a recovery partition that you can boot from to reinstall the OS to a "factory" condition should you need to becuase of virus infections, etc. However, I don't know if your installation of Linux blew that away or not. To see, open a terminal/command-line window and execute the command sudo /sbin/fdisk -l and report the results back here. Then we can better tell you what the next step will be.

Just Joined!
    okay i opened the terminal but i have no idea what im supposed to type in there, i typed just sudo and it came back with somthing that had to do with username, groupname, and command and i have NO idea how any of this works. you will have to spell it all out for me like im 8. oh and you were correct about the harddrive.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by m0esgirl View Post
    i have NO idea how any of this works. you will have to spell it all out for me like im 8.
    Hello and welcome!

He did spell it out for you:

Code:
    sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
    All you need to do is open the terminal, then copy/paste the command above into your terminal and press ENTER, then put in your user password when requested... then copy/paste the output back here.
    oz

You're too quick for me, Ozar! Just what I was going to say. Don't worry M0esgirl. We'll get you thru this knothole, if it is at all possible.

Just Joined!
    oooh it was a one. i thought it was the straight line haha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast