Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Remote computer - Windows XP (file sharing already enabled) Locol computer Debian 5.04 Rdestop Remote computer is behind a router Public IP - 123.456.123.456 Lan - 192.168.0.888 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

About remote connection between 2 computers via Internet

Hi folks,

Remote computer - Windows XP
    (file sharing already enabled)
    Locol computer Debian 5.04
    Rdestop

Remote computer is behind a router
    Public IP - 123.456.123.456
    Lan - 192.168.0.888
    Username - abcd

1)
    What will be the correct command to connect the remote computer to forward its desktop to local computer?

$ rdesktop -a 16 -N abcd@123.456.123.456:192.168.0.888
    ?

Do I need requesting the remote computer to reset the router? If YES please advice how?

2)
    What will be the command to send a file, named myfile, to the remote computer? Can I run 'rdesktop' as well.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Is the local computer behind a firewall? A VNC client is a good means to access a remote Linux or Windows system. Assuming I understand correctly, that you want to sit at the local Linux system and remote-control the remote Windows system, then you need two things:

1. Run a VNC server on the remote Windows machine.
    2. Poke a hole in the firewall on the appropriate port for the remote system in order for the local system to access the VNC server on the remote system. You need to make sure that you have configured the VNC server to use encrypted streams and choose a good password for it, and change it regularly.

Alternatively to poking a hole in the firewall you can install a VPN server on the remote network and let the local system tunnel into it. Then you can just connect to the remote system directly, and more safely.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Is the local computer behind a firewall? A VNC client is a good means to access a remote Linux or Windows system. Assuming I understand correctly, that you want to sit at the local Linux system and remote-control the remote Windows system, then you need two things:

1. Run a VNC server on the remote Windows machine.
    2. Poke a hole in the firewall on the appropriate port for the remote system in order for the local system to access the VNC server on the remote system. You need to make sure that you have configured the VNC server to use encrypted streams and choose a good password for it, and change it regularly.

Alternatively to poking a hole in the firewall you can install a VPN server on the remote network and let the local system tunnel into it. Then you can just connect to the remote system directly, and more safely.
    Hi Rubberman,

Thanks for your advice.

Both the remote and local computers are not behind firewall. It can be stopped temporarily.

I need to use the built-in RDP on Windows. Because the owner of the remote computer is not knowledgeable on IT. Requesting him to install VNC will be a problem. I want to remote control his computer assisting him to configure Windows.

I use rdesktop on LAN many occasions without problem. On local computer just run;

$ rdesktop -a 24 -N user@local_ip_of_remote_computer

Or
    $ rdesktop -a 24 -N user@locol_ip_of_remote_computer:3389

(if it is a VM, guest of a virtual machine)

Then I can take control of the remote computer on LAN. I haven't figured out how to do it over Internet. I expect making preparation first before requesting my friend to do the field test.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The router IS a firewall. That's why you cannot access the remote system with rdesktop or anything else directly. You still need either a VPN or poke a hole in the router (they have means to do that) for the port that rdesktop uses.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    The router IS a firewall. That's why you cannot access the remote system with rdesktop or anything else directly. You still need either a VPN or poke a hole in the router (they have means to do that) for the port that rdesktop uses.
    No, it is only a basic router. It is possible forwarding all ports to the remote computer.

I trust it is possible because I did it 1~2 years ago. Unfortunately I can't recall NOR to find the solution on googling.

B.R.
    satimis