Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I can check the .doc or .docx files I create in OpenOffice to see exactly how they will appear in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Application that will show you what your file will look like in Word?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way I can check the .doc or .docx files I create in OpenOffice to see exactly how they will appear in Word. As I'm sure everyone is aware, some of the formatting doesn't always show up right when you view an OpenOffice created .doc file in Word, and I need to submit a lot of files of this type to instructors of online classes. Some of these have images and spreadsheets pasted into them, and I just want to be able to see what the instructor will see before I turn in these assignments.

Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    You could try running Word under WINE to see if they look the way you want them to look:

WineHQ - Word
    oz

Just Joined!
    Well then I would have to buy Word. Not having to do this is one of the main benefits of OpenOffice.

oz
    forum.guy
    In that case, maybe you can convince everyone else to use OpenOffice so that they don't have to buy Word, either.

...or you could try running Microsoft's Word Viewer in WINE to see if that works well enough:

How to obtain the latest Word Viewer

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas, but perhaps someone else can think of something.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Oh, very true! I was thinking of some web service to do this, but Word Viewer is much better. I just hope it shows the spreadsheets and such.

As for the first part of your message, I'm trying! Help me.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by tatiana30241 View Post
    I just hope it shows the spreadsheets and such.
    Microsoft has a different viewer for spreadsheets and they might have other viewers, but I'm not sure.

Description of the Excel Viewer

Download details: Excel Viewer
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you. The spreadsheet viewer will come in handy later, but I just tried Word Viewer, and it shows the spreadsheets embedded in .doc files perfectly. Problem solved.

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad that worked out for you... now all that's left to do is convert everyone to OpenOffice!
    oz