Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a problem with quota on shell account. When I type quota -s to see used space, it shows me blocks - 2130M. However, when i type du -sh ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quota used in nowhere?

I have a problem with quota on shell account. When I type quota -s to see used space, it shows me blocks - 2130M. However, when i type du -sh in my home folder, it shows me that i have used 985M. It has been for a couple of months now.

Where could the non-existing 1.1GB be?
    I suspect, it might have something to do with rtorrent or apache, because some time ago I was downloading some Linux distros on shell via rtorrent, and then downloaded it on my local PC's via http. Files where in ~/public_html. It might be possible, that I have accidentally removed files, while they were still in use.

I don't have root access.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you looked in /tmp, or other such directories?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Yes, I've tried /tmp /var/tmp. There is nothing mine. Where could I also have some temporary/personal files except from home dir?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, you can try to find other files that you "own" elsewhere in the system. FWIW, quota may also be including files you have written to a mounted network file system that is not on your physical box.

Just Joined!
    It would be impossible to find them automatically, because i have permission denied while I'm trying to do: find /

I haven't been mounting any external devices via shell.

Well, that's the best I can come up with right now from what information you have provided. Personally, I leave quotas turned off even on enterprise systems because they are nothing but a PITA (in my opinion). Instead we actively monitor the file systems and get a notification when the users' /home file systems are getting filled up, and we then get out the big stick to hit the biggest offenders over the head with!

BTW, did you check in your "trash can"?

Just Joined!
    You mean trash can as the ~/.Trash directory? I don't have one.

Basically, yes. Just checking... FYI, du won't traverse soft links unless you us the -L or --dereference option. If you have any soft links to such, then their contents, which may be part of your quota, will not appear as part of the du output.

Just Joined!
    I see. However it's not the point here:

Code:
    tma@host:~$ du -Lsh
    2.0G    .
    Are there any tmp folders for apache/rtorrent files that are being downloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by themad View Post
    Are there any tmp folders for apache/rtorrent files that are being downloaded?
    You're asking me??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast