Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've deployed an LDAP server that I wish to authenticate RedHat users off. Currently this is working satisfactory, however I want local user authentication in (and only) the event ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RedHat LDAP local authentication

Hi, I've deployed an LDAP server that I wish to authenticate RedHat users off.

Currently this is working satisfactory, however I want local user authentication in (and only) the event that the LDAP server is down and unreachable (yes I know it shouldn't be, however we have an unfortunate amount of power outages at our data facility).

Can someone instruct me on how to configure a user that will be accessible locally in the event that the LDAP server is unavailable?

Linux User
    When you say 'locally', what sort of aces do you mean - local user for the login computer, or a user that can access resources on any computer on the network?
    By default, when you install, you set up a local user, who can only access the local pc.
    The whole idea of ldap authentication is that you have one place to authenticate all users. If te server goes down, you are stuck with the local accounts, so you would have to create a local user account on every machine on the network.

Just Joined!
    As in a user on the machine that a user is attempting to access.

I want a single user on each local machine which can be ONLY used if the LDAP server is unreachable (network outage/host down/etc.). The key (and difficult) point being the only.

Linux User
    This sounds like a homework question, but any way... The only unique user is root.

Just Joined!
    Nope, this is for a production environment.

It doesn't have to be unique, it only has to meet the conditions I described previously.

I thought this would be a cookie cutter setup...