Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey, i'm not a noob with linux but im really not sure with distro chooice. I had ubuntu, debian and mandriva. My primary environment is windows 7 and its necessary ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fast distribution for web browsing

hey,

i'm not a noob with linux but im really not sure with distro chooice. I had ubuntu, debian and mandriva. My primary environment is windows 7 and its necessary for my work ( matlab, photoshop, flash ). I need 2nd OS for webbrowsing so:
    + it must be really fast
    + I need a good tool for wireless networks - quite often I need to use public hotspots etc so there musn't be problems with searching networks and connecting with them
    + I use ntfs disks so there must be a possiblity to use them while working on linux

What is very important - I dont want to have a distro which could influent on my windows partition..

so which distro i should choose?

Matlab runs on Debian.
    I use Gimp on Debian, it can open .psd files as well.

Finally, I use Debian GNU/Linux for webbrowsing. Wireless and NTFS access work for me too. So that's what I recommend.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Linux Newbie

How about Peppermint OS?

Quote Originally Posted by pawciak View Post
    hey,

i'm not a noob with Linux but im really not sure with distro choice. I had Ubuntu, Debian and Mandriva. My primary environment is windows 7 and its necessary for my work ( matlab, photoshop, flash ). I need 2nd OS for web browsing so:
    + it must be really fast
    + I need a good tool for wireless networks - quite often I need to use public hotspots etc so there mustnít be problems with searching networks and connecting with them
    + I use ntfs disks so there must be a possibility to use them while working on Linux

What is very important - I donít want to have a distro which could influence on my windows partition..

so which distro i should choose?
    Peppermint OS, which is a derivative of the Lubuntu distribution from the Ubuntu project, boots very quickly, and it should inherit many of the traits found in Ubuntu, which should mean that you should have no problems accessing wireless networks, and if you want to mount NTFS partitions, that should not be a problem either.

There are plenty of other distributions that might do the job well, too, but when you mentioned fast and Web centric activity, I thought first of Peppermint OS. You might want to look at Community | Peppermint | Linux OS to see if it meets your needs.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You might want to give antix 8.5 a try. Based on Mepis w/c is Debian based distro too.

You can get it here if you wish
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

Linux Newbie

antiX is my original fast favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by nujinini View Post
    You might want to give antix 8.5 a try. Based on Mepis w/c is Debian based distro too.

You can get it here if you wish
    Great idea! I mentioned Peppermint OS because it is easy and simple, but the fact is that I've loved antiX since about 2006 when it first came out! It gets better with each release and it is not only fast, but it is very customizable as well.
    Brian Masinick
    masinick AT yahoo DOT com

Quote Originally Posted by masinick View Post
    Great idea! I mentioned Peppermint OS because it is easy and simple, but the fact is that I've loved antiX since about 2006 when it first came out! It gets better with each release and it is not only fast, but it is very customizable as well.
    Indeed!
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

DistroWatch.com: Zencafe GNU/Linux

-- it may be what you're looking for. I run peppermint, too, but this may be better still.

Just Joined!
    thx guys! i will try peppermint and zencafe which looks really nice thanks for all your advices :]