Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all: Long time linux user here. I started a new job and they have a Linux (CentOS 5.3 32bit) box with one disk (looks like it's a RAID 1) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

backing up 300,000 files

Hello all:
    Long time linux user here.
    I started a new job and they have a Linux (CentOS 5.3 32bit) box with one disk (looks like it's a RAID 1) for everything that has over 300,000 files in one directory. I am working on backups (backup to local disk using dump and copy dump files to remote server) and there is no other disk on another controller available. If I try to count the number of files (ls */*/*/*|wc -l) it chokes and errors out. Any suggestions?

Alex DeWolf
    San Diego, California

Code:
    find /DIRECTORY -type f |wc -l
    will count the files.

On backup:
    Depends, how big you plan.
    Is rsync enough?
    For a network wide backup I usually recommend bacula.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Got that. I am not sure the best way to back this up with the least I/O impact on the server. This is production.

300000 doesnt sound too scary.
    My biggest number of files per server is 40million (although in a directory structure, not all in one dir)

Just Joined!
    How did you back it up? Was it a production server where I/O was an issue? Did you use an external (USB) device (disk drive or tape drive)?

Linux Guru
    When you get into the millions-of-files volume, snapshots and "raw disk" (imaging) backups during off hours will get the best throughput.

The storage location is irrelevant as long as it can write at the speeds you require.

Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    When you get into the millions-of-files volume, snapshots and "raw disk" (imaging) backups during off hours will get the best throughput.
    That is of course correct.

But dependend on your hardware´s capabilities you might be able to implement "regular" backup as well.
    A raid 10 over 24x 146GByte 15k harddiscs with a decent controller is surely more performant than a raid5 with 3x 750Gbyte 7.2k and a consumer grade controller.

So -in my case- we opted for the "kill the problem with hardware" option,
    just to have a consistent way of backuping our network.
    Yes, this is a (one of two redundant actually) production server
    and yes, it is backuped during operation.

Bottom line:
    If your hardware can take it, rsync or better bacula are viable options for backing up these 300000 files

Just Joined!
    These machines are in a colocation and have only one disk controller each, so the one pipe analogy applies here. If I ran the hardware I would make sure there was 2 RAID controllers and one fibre controller each.
    I have been checkinto rsync, I will check into bacula.

Thanks

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post

The storage location is irrelevant as long as it can write at the speeds you require.
    File system types are also important here. Some choke with too many files. Others are OK with large numbers of files in a single directory.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!