Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hi, i have tried using the "shred" command on a text file a.txt on distro ubuntu . later doing on cat on to the file i m nt able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

hi,
    i have tried using the "shred" command on a text file a.txt on distro ubuntu . later doing on cat on to the file i m nt able to view the contains of it, it is smthing in encrpted format....
    is thr any command to view the original contains of the file......

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by harshada View Post
    hi,
    i have tried using the "shred" command on a text file a.txt on distro ubuntu . later doing on cat on to the file i m nt able to view the contains of it, it is smthing in encrpted format....
    is thr any command to view the original contains of the file......
    They are not in encrypted format. your content is replaced by random junk data.you can't recover them.

From shred man page -
    Overwrite the specified FILE(s) repeatedly, in order to make it harder
    for even very expensive hardware probing to recover the data.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    ya sure as u say tht the data cant be recoverd. but thn thr might be any way out to read those data back.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by harshada View Post
    ya sure as u say tht the data cant be recoverd. but thn thr might be any way out to read those data back.
    I don't mean to troll,If you find/create such tool or software ,let us know. It will a great help to the community.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    ya sure.....

Just Joined!
    Hi nodnolse1,

As you said that the file is overwritten then st such situation i am sorry to say there is no data recovery software to recover your that file at any cost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2