Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i overwritten an important file and i don't know what tool to use to make a recovery. my fs is ext4 and distro ubuntu en...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post data recovery on ext4

i overwritten an important file and i don't know what tool to use to make a recovery. my fs is ext4 and distro ubuntu en

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

I'm not sure they'll work in this case, but you can try using TestDisk or PhotoRec (also found on the TestDisk page) to recover files:

TestDisk - CGSecurity

It's best to run them from a liveCD, such as Parted Magic.

Good luck with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Unfortunately TestDisk don't support the EXT4 FS

Just Joined!
    I found few apps that handle the ext4 on linux softpedia searching for EXT4 (sorry I have not permit to post links). I tried to install them but I am unable to make the installs. I searched for lived cd with these apps already configured, but I did'nt found. Any idea?

A few more things to try.

I'd take a snapshot of partition with dd before committing any changes.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by nodnolse1 View Post
    Unfortunately TestDisk don't support the EXT4 FS
    Thanks for pointing that out because I've never noticed it before. Looks like the TestDisk developer has some catching up to do.
    oz

i overwritten an important file and i don't know what tool to use to make a recovery. my fs is ext4 and distro ubuntu en
    Try using extundelete extundelete: An ext3 and ext4 file undeletion utility - If that didn't help try foremost.

i overwritten an important file
    Is it deleted using rm command or overwritten using a command shred? If you deleted it using rm - I have chance to recover with above tool. If you used shred command,you can't recover it using any tools.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Just Joined!
    It was a text formatting file without extension. An application has replaced the file using the same name. The original file was 40 KB, the new one is empty ...
    I made a terrible mistake naming my important into a file named "log". Probabily I need holidays

Is the system still running ? Did you umount the partition?
    extundelete will help you to recover from journal ,iff the file system is unmount - so that the journal entry is not overwritten.
    If journal entries are lost - then Foremost is the only option left.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

-----

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast