Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I'll have a go at that, thanks. On the off-chance, can you give me the command for [username] and [password] so I can have a go at mounting the drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs up

I'll have a go at that, thanks.

On the off-chance, can you give me the command for [username] and [password] so I can have a go at mounting the drive with an alternate user/ password so I can see if I can get into it.

I think I can see from your commands that I'll be doing a bulk copy, and altho that's fine, I'm thinking I might want to be a bit more selective so I can copy directory by directory.

Thanks in advance...!

ext3 is a posix compliant local filesystem.
    That means, that
    a) you dont need a username/password to mount it.
    Credentials are usually needed for network ressources.
    b) it knows about uid/gid (user IDs/ group IDs) and permissions.

Now, the files were presumably written by the NAS with *one* uid.
    As the standard knoppix user seems to have a different uid, it getīs a permission denied.

root is special, as it is the administrative account.
    It has access to nearly all ressources and is almost not restricted/can get permissions.
    That is why it needs to be used with care and it is in general advised to work with user accounts.

As for your case:
    You *could* (as root) change the owner ship of all files and directories of that disc with
    Code:
    chmod -R knoppix /mnt/usbdrive
    Then you will be able to browse and read/write access that disk with the knoppix user, also with the graphical tools.

But as this knoppix session is not permanent, I would rather advise to complete your filemanegement as root (with care).
    You can navigate the directories with
    cd and ls -la.
    Also cp and rsync both take any directories as source/destination.

Note:
    - your filesystem of sda ( the windows harddisc) are ntfs.
    - ntfs is not a posix filesystem.
    - While mounted by linux, posix compliancy of ntfs is just faked, so that any linux command can access this mount point.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    That's great advice Irithori,

I currently used the rsync command to copy one of the directories (using the exact path) over to my NAS. I tried one file of 500Mb first and that went across well so I now have a whole directory of about 15GB copying.

Hopefully that will complete overnight and i'll be back to give major thanks.

Your help has been invaluable tho, I totally get it now.

Thanks!!!!

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

30GB copied and counting... more on the way, am running some more rsync's while I go to work, will update the thread later but so far Irithori you get a huge thank you from this Linux noob...!!!

youīre welcome.

30GByte in over 8hours is not so great though..
    Thatīs about 1MByte/s.
    Even with a 100MBit/s network and cifs it should be somewhere near 5-6MByte/s
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!

Question

Yeh I know, the latency is rubbish, tho to be fair I'm probably well aware of why that is (combination of the machine running KNOPPIX being connected to the network via a home plug and the fact my network has a Sonos AND Slingbox online.

Anyhoo, can you shed any light on making this go away Irithori. I have been trying to 'copy' a couple of directories and keep getting this highly annoying error which then kills the rsync command...??

Code:
    recv_files: "/mnt/NEWnas/recovered/MEDIA/<folder being copied>/<filename>.avi" is a directory
    rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1060) [sender=3.0.7]

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

Irithori, thanks for all your help, I have now managed to successfully copy all my data from my old NAS to my new NAS... yeh it took a while as you can see with latency, but I'm happy!

I have one last question I hope you can help with:

As I have to send my 'failed' drives back to WD, I was wondering, is there a command which will successfully wipe my h/d of recoverable data?
    I've read that the 'shred' command can do this with a number of 'passes' over the file structure, but I was wondering if you could help by giving me a good one.

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for your help before...!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by viperd View Post
    I was wondering, is there a command which will successfully wipe my h/d of recoverable data?
    Take a look at the Parted Magic LiveCD. It's a quick download and burn to disk, and it has 3 or 4 different options for securely erasing drives, along with lots of other handy to have utilities.
    oz

Just Joined!

Question

Hi ozar,

Thanks for that, can you tell me if that's a Linux install??
    I'm currently booted into KNOPPIX so Ideally I'd like to finish it off once and for all.

Cheers
    v

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by viperd View Post
    Hi ozar,

Thanks for that, can you tell me if that's a Linux install??
    I'm currently booted into KNOPPIX so Ideally I'd like to finish it off once and for all.

Cheers
    v
    Oops... I didn't notice that you were working from a Knoppix liveCD, but no, Parted Magic is another liveCD like Knoppix. There are a number of different methods of supposedly securely erasing a disk, including shred that you mentioned earlier. If hdparm is installed on Knoppix, you might be able to use the ATA Secure Erase option. You can check this wiki page for all the details:

https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

It's been about 6 or 7 years since I last ran Knoppix, so I'm not sure what erase options that it might currently come with.
    oz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast