Find the answer to your Linux question:
I like the idea of Smolt a lot, and I use it often to see which hardware works with Linux. However, I believe that I still do not understand the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question [SOLVED] Question about Smolt profiles

I like the idea of Smolt a lot, and I use it often to see which hardware works with Linux. However, I believe that I still do not understand the concept of Smolt database. Let me explain why.

Each time when I install my machine a new Smolt profile is generated. That way a duplicate of the same hardware profile is created. I do not understand why is this necessary.
    I mean once when my the physical hardware and basic OS info is registered it can be reused easily. No need to register again and again and again...

So far I have installed Fedora 12 (at least 5 times), and Fedora 13 (3 times exactly) on the same hardware. Each time a Smolt profile is generated with different credentials (Public UUID and Admin Password). This is probably damaging the statistics, as someone might think this hardware works well as many people are using it (without knowing it's the single machine registered multiple times).
    Fedora_20@Dell_Latitude_E6410
    Ubuntu_14.04_LTS@HP_Compaq_DC7100

Diagnosis: New installation creates a new /etc/smolt directory with unique hardware ID

Solution: Backup the existing /etc/smolt/hw-uuid files for my hardware. Restore the /etc/smolt/hw-uuid upon a new installation.
    Fedora_20@Dell_Latitude_E6410
    Ubuntu_14.04_LTS@HP_Compaq_DC7100