Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I bought a tv anywhere card for my son for his computer. It is really cool. It is pretty much like tivo but the card only cost 38 dollars new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

TV cards

I bought a tv anywhere card for my son for his computer. It is really cool. It is pretty much like tivo but the card only cost 38 dollars new and came with a remote. The problem is that it is not Linux compliant and that stinks. I want to find one that works in Linux. Does anybody have any suggestion and/or has anybody done this successfully?
    Mike

Linux Guru
    I and my sister have been using TV cards for quite a while. In my experience, if you get a card with a Brooktree BT848 or BT878 chipset on it, it will most likely work. A large portion of the TV cards that I've been able to find are based on this chipset. If in doubt, just look at the card and find the PCI interface chip, and check so that it says BT848 or BT878.

Note that you'll have to configure the remote seperately, using the programs from the LIRC projects.

Can you give me some xamples like what card do you use?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    I use the PCTV Studio Pro card, and it works like a charm.

On another note, how can you be so sure that it isn't Linux compliant? Where does it go wrong, exactly?

The only way I know how to configure it is through the gui and the one that I have is not an option and it wont detect it. Maybe if I can hand configure it in xorg.conf but I really woudn't have a clue how to do that and it might be too much of a topic for a forum. Unless you know something I don't I am always willing to hear suggestions.
    Mike

Linux Guru
    Well, you can start by posting the output of the following commands.
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    uname -a
    ls /sys/class/video4linux
    It could well be that your card is already detected an drivers loaded, only that X isn't configured to use it.

I will try that and see what happens I will let you know.

Whats the name of the card ive just put a tv2000xp delux in my Debian (Sarge) box and it works fine with the bttv drivers but i cant configure mythtv

The name of the card is TV anywhere by MSI. I am going to play with it again tonight so if I can't get it working I will post my logs.
    Thanks,
    Mike

Dolda - here is the output to your suggestion. Any Ideas?
    Mike

root@gravedigger:~# /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C693A/694x [Apollo PRO133x] (rev c4)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C598/694x [Apollo MVP3/Pro133x AGP]
    00:04.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
    00:04.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C/VT8235 PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
    00:04.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev 1a)
    00:04.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6202 [USB 2.0 controller] (rev 1a)
    00:04.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
    00:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 07)
    00:07.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 07)
    00:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado] (rev 7
    00:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant: Unknown device 8800 (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
    root@gravedigger:~#

root@gravedigger:~# uname -a
    Linux gravedigger 2.4.26 #6 Mon Jun 14 19:07:27 PDT 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux

root@gravedigger:~# ls /sys/class/video4linux
    /usr/bin/ls: /sys/class/video4linux: No such file or directory

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast