Find the answer to your Linux question:
The more I try to organize my data to make it more useful/usable, I find myself wanting to organize my projects, and group similar data rather than looking through numerous ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    QXQ
    Just Joined!

Displaying Subfolder contents in Parent Folder?

The more I try to organize my data to make it more useful/usable, I find myself wanting to organize my projects, and group similar data rather than looking through numerous difficult to organize files. A quick example nautilus screen:
    **Whoops, appearently I'm not allowed to post images**

As you can see, all of these file go toward the same project, and you could seperate them in different folders (and in this case rare case you could arrange by data type). But then you'd have to move between sub-folders to access all the data for a single project ("did I make concept art for that character yet?"). It would make more sense to having all the data you want to work with in front of you, while still keeping it organized (manually setting works, but loses so much, especially when adding files). My thought is something like this:
    **Whoops, appearently I'm not allowed to post images**

Does anyone know if there are tools/utilities out there that would allow me to do this? or will I have to do it myself? I thinking one could modify a file manager (ie nautilus) to look for some sort of hidden folder config (.dirconf?) with a folder, which would tell the file manager which sub-folders to display as "boxes" (possibly even folders within those). This could be something activated with a right-click within the FM to toggle the option (simply affect the config of the parent folder).

Additional thought, displaying folder "boxes" on the desktop. In this case the idea wouldn't be displaying sub-folders, but instead working as a short of link/shortcut with the contents displayed (when I tinker, I just throw everything on my desktop for quick access). I know nautilus controls the GNOME desktop, so taking it a setup further may not be to much harder (not sure how KDE or other WMs work in that respect). I was thinking about using Conky, but I'm quite sure it can't take input.

Can someone tell me this is already possible? and if so, why haven't I seen anyone using it?

This is the kind of thing that exposes how slow and dumb GUIs sometimes are. It's easy enough to do it on the command line. Just open a terminal and type:

ls folder1 folder2
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

QXQ
    Just Joined!
    Well, not necessarily. I mean, I can change the display type to list if I wanted to see everything in a parent folder, but that doesn't really help having everything in one long list. As far as a CLI goes, I don't think it makes a huge improvement since it's still just a listing of everything, rather than something making efficient use of view space.

I really wish I could post the images to get my point across, but I don't see the point in spamming lame comments to get to 15 posts since I'll likely disappear after this.

Any who, my point comes down to this. When I work on a large project, or at least a project with quite a few sets of related files, being able to immediately see and access them is important and saves time and effort. Not to mention I hate having large directory trees, but can't find an efficient and athestic way to deal with 16 some-what related and some-what unrelated files.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can also use the command line: ls -R [dirname]
    This will recursively list all the subfolder contents. FYI, [dirname] means "optional directory name". If omitted, it will dislay all contents from the currenct directory on.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

QXQ
    Just Joined!
    *faceplam*

I'm really talking about GUI productivity, and organization. I attempted to show examples, but I can't be bothered to make posts elsewhere. Point being, I want a method to see everything, have them grouped in some method, and the ability to open/launch them in a click.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by QXQ View Post
    *faceplam*

I'm really talking about GUI productivity, and organization. I attempted to show examples, but I can't be bothered to make posts elsewhere. Point being, I want a method to see everything, have them grouped in some method, and the ability to open/launch them in a click.
    Understood. However, sometimes a CLI (command line interface) is more efficient and provides a better result than available GUIs.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

QXQ
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Understood. However, sometimes a CLI (command line interface) is more efficient and provides a better result than available GUIs.
    I'm quite aware of that fact, I only recently installed GDM on my system so the less tech oriented people in my home could use my system. But when dealing with different filetypes (especially when there may not be extensions), with different methods of interacting/opening said files, and various different folders, even with tab completion I find that it's faster to use a GUI application like nautilus.

Besides, having a long list of files doesn't really help since it seems to be overwelling at times, where are I find that icons assigned by mime-type usually help me locate files more quickly in certain situations.