Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Interesting thoughts, digital-massacre, but the first snag is probably that you'd need a retail box or volume license or fresh OEM copy of Windows to install in the VM (I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Interesting thoughts, digital-massacre, but the first snag is probably that you'd need a retail box or volume license or fresh OEM copy of Windows to install in the VM (I think). My guess is that OP has only a previously or pre- installed OEM license. I've never tried mounting a Samba share on a VM from a Samba server running on the VM host, but it's intriguing, and I may give it a try just for grins.

Only use Windows occasionally, but check out dirms.com, this is the product I use and have used for many years. Works great for me.

Just Joined!
    Glad you found the idea interesting greyhairweenie. I have an very experienced Linux acquaintance who did this very thing with his Microsoft operating system. I remember him demonstrating it in his basement about 3 or 4 years ago when I was visiting him. That's how I know about it. I was very slick. When he booted up on Linux all of his Microsoft stored files were right there for him to access, and if he needed Microsoft he just clicked on a launch Icon and was in business. That I know of, he just took his own personally licensed copy of the OS and installed it on his VM as though it were his computer and convinced the Microsoft OS it had no hard drive and instead was accessing and storing its data to a server and Linux happily kept everything safe. He was quite pleased with the set up.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Okay, so, in some forums, one can get seriously flamed for suggesting what follows, but not in Linux Forums!

I admin Do$e and Nu/ix systems, and the best (in terms of efficacy) defrag proggy I have used is diskeeper (diskeeper dot com). It is not free, but it is not extremely costly and it has a 30 or 60 day trial. You could get a good fragmentation free 30 days.

Having said that, the only time I have really encountered a problem with it was when it "lost" its schedule and ran all the time or when I scheduled it to run during work hours on systems with heavy disk I/O, such as a database, a file server, or a backup system (specifically, Backup Exec). The worst was when it lost its schedule on my heavily-used file server and my backup server and was killing the speed of my file server backups.

However, it has a really advanced and granular scheduling system and defrag logic that it uses to minimize resource use while defragging and that it uses to intercept disk writes to minimize fragmentation in the first place. I know this might sound like an ad, but I have just been very pleased with it.

So, apologies for the Do$e software product placement. I'll try to find another post to shamelessly and gratuitously plug some Linux software. I promise.

- N

Quote Originally Posted by lknn View Post
    I'm using Windows, that's why I have ntfs drives. I don't want to defrag in Windows because other programs are inevitably going to be running and contributing negatively to the performance. I could, but I'd like to avoid that.
    A few assumptions, and few propositions:
    1. All the drives are in the same box.
    2. Other than the OS and applications drive, the other drives are for storage.
    3. The system has fallen behind in routine Windows maintenance.

a. Empty one of the storage drives' contents onto the others.
    b. Format the empty drive to Linux ext3.
    c. Install the ext3 driver for Windows: Ext2 IFS For Windows
    d: Proceed to distribute the data to the Linux ext3 disk, format next empty disk to Linux ext3 and so on.
    You will never again have to defragment your storage disks, only your OS and applications disk.

By the way, network storage drives use ext3 as their file system.

Making the future easier requires an initial investment, IMHO, worth the effort.
    Last edited by previso; 08-27-2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: missing term

Just Joined!

Talking simple answer ....;)

Plug your external drive to your window$ box. Wait for the drive to be recognized and a drive letter assigned in explorer. Right click explorer, then click on properties.
    Select the tools tab, then the defrag button.
    highlight the drive and select defragment.
    The software does not care what other programs are running, the only thing that it cares about is having enought free space in the drive to move things around.
    But if a program balks, just stop that program momentarilly until the defrag is done. If the balking program is an antivirus, disconnect your box from the net until the defrag is done.

If you are not dual booting and the drive is being used in Linux boxes only, format the darn thing to EXT3 or EXT4 and be done with it.

As per UCDB or Hiren's, I use the DOS program with NTfs support, I don't know how it would handle USB drives, but give it a try.
    The command is defrag e: /f
    Choose the drive letter of your USB drive.

even though Im a linux user I still have to maintain winhosed pc's at work

defragging a drive should be done during off times(set aside time to do this )
    the problem people face with defragging is that they forget to do it for a long time
    then its a hassle because of the time need to run it.

first time running defrag on a drive will take a long time!
    I generally recommend running defrag once a week (even if system says it doesnt need defragging)
    keeping the drive in a minimally fragmented state allows the system to use the drive with optimum performance.

if your system is dual boot you only need to defrag the ntfs partition

there are also steps you can take to keep your browser running at top speeds
    deleting the temporary internet files(cookies) in the browser and in the user cookie files. and there is also spyware removal

Yeah I know this is a lot of hassle but its what you have to deal with when you run windows

Just Joined!

Re:I'd like to use a live cd to prioritize the defragmentation

Quote Originally Posted by lknn View Post
    I'd like to use a live cd to prioritize the defragmentation. I tried using ubcd4win, but it produced errors on startup and was unable to launch any applications. I wonder whether ntfs support in linux is reliable and if there is an efficient live cd I can use to defrag.
    Use Hiren's boot CD. Pop it in the drive, run windows mini XP from the live disc and select mydefrag or defraggler and, Hey presto! you have defregged your drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2