Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have an application that runs in the console, writes some things to the standard output. When I try to run it in the background, something like this happens: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question running command-line app in the background ==> stopped

Hi!

I have an application that runs in the console, writes some things to the standard output. When I try to run it in the background, something like this happens:

> myapp >output.txt &
    [1]+ Stopped myapp >output.txt
    > fg
    <writing to output.txt...>
    > [CTRL+Z]
    [1]+ stopped myapp
    > bg
    [1]+ myapp >output.txt &

[1]+ Stopped myapp >output.txt &

==> this is the problem here. It simply changes to the stop state immediately when it's "told" to run in the background.

Is there any general reason for this or does that seem something application-specific?

Thanks,
    Agoston

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If it is waiting for some stdin input, then it may well stop like this. What happens if you move it back to the foreground? Does it continue to run successfully? Is it a script or is it a binary executable?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    It's not waiting for user input because I can run it without any problems in the foreground without it asking for any.

If I issue 'fg', thus putting it into the background, it runs on without any problem.

It's actually a Java class that runs over the JVM. There are other Java classes in the project I'm working on that run fine in the background this way.

So I'm really stuck.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    At this point I need to see your code, or you need to run it in the debugger in order (as a background process) in order to see where it is stopping and possibly determine why.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Well, I would say your reply pretty much answers my original question, i.e., whether this is something of a general problem with bash (or the way I'm using it at least) or I should rather look for the reason in the code.

So thanks a lot for the answer, I suggest we not pursue this issue any further.

Cheers,
    Agoston

Just Joined!
    I've found the solution. Actually it had absolutely nothing to do with bash.

The problem was that the Java class was run with ant, where fork="true" was specified. Now the ant documentation says:

"If you run Ant as a background process (like ant &) and use the <java> task with spawn set to false and fork to true, you must provide explicit input to the forked process or Ant will be suspended because it tries to read from the standard input."

This was exactly the case.

So case solved.

Cheers,
    Agoston