I have an unusual medical condition that prevents me from looking at a monitor for more than a couple of minutes per day. I also can't use text-to-speech software due to another, hearing related, disability. I used to be a programmer and web developer but these two conditions have almost killed my ability to use a computer.

Since I have no difficulty reading text on paper I would like to set up a linux box (probably using ubuntu) so that all console output goes to a continuous-feed line printer. Then at least I could use email, and console based software.

How can I set this up?

Also can anyone recommend console based apps that would work well with this configuration? I'm thinking of apps that don't use much in the way of screen navigation but basically dump text out by the line.

And while I'm at it, is anyone aware of a line printer that is linux friendly, reasonably fast, at least 80 columns, and has a low-profile carriage so I can see the text just printed? (Or even so low-profile that I can see what I'm typing as the carriage moves along, similar to a type-writer?)

Due to my restricted time looking at a monitor it may take a day or so for me to respond.

Thanks for the help!