Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Segfault What's the kernel command line in your bootloader? my command line (menu.lst) is: Code: title Fresh kernel kernel /boot/bzImage root=/initrd initrd /boot/initrd.img And the I tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    What's the kernel command line in your bootloader?
    my command line (menu.lst) is:

Code:
    title Fresh kernel
    kernel /boot/bzImage root=/initrd
    initrd /boot/initrd.img
    And the I tried many other arguments for root such as sd, sr, sr0, cdrom , cd-rom , /dev/sdb1 (when trying to boot from usb stick)

Also I tried the command "rootdelay=10" for it to wait so it can find the mount point but meh it didnt work either

kernel /boot/bzImage root=/initrd
    This will not direct kernel to your boot device, you need to include root device. Initrd is not required when drivers are built into kernel.

Just Joined!
    I know it will not direct me to my boot device but it says something about a VFS and since the initrd contains programs and folders I thought maybe... but I would like to make a bootable cd with my kernel but I cant direct my kernel's vfs to my cd with the "root=" command :/ so I put it on a iso and then booted it with VIRTUALBOX and made a empty hdd and formatted it ext2 with gparted, and then as the "root=" for my kernel I put: "root=/dev/sda1" and voila! it boots further but now it hangs because it cant find the INIT or something but that IS included in my initrd.

So I only have 2 more questions hehe.
    Can I mount the RAM of the pc as a vfs for the kernel so I can make a live image?
    And how can I repair my INIT ?

Again thank you very much for reading

You can use initrd but then you have to pass real_root (check it, maybe it was realroot or something similar) parameter to kernel.
    "Mounting the RAM" won't help, you need to read the root partition from drive anyway.
    Your init is not broken, it is on that root partition your kernel must access in order to boot.
    Just fix that root partition thing and you will be OK. As suggested before, use UUID to make sure correct device is used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2