Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is my Very first time using Linux Mandrake and i have no clue what to do... well first things first. I have 2 monitors hooked up with 2 different ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

First time using Linux Mandrake

This is my Very first time using Linux Mandrake and i have no clue what to do...
    well first things first. I have 2 monitors hooked up with 2 different Video Cards. One of the monitors is 15" the other is 19" .
    when I configured the resolution on the installation i picked for both monitors the same resolution but the 15" doesn't support it and i can't see nothing there now
    so i want to reconfig that again to only one monitor(19").
    HOW DO I DO THAT

Just Joined!
    Ok i found out how to Change Video Cards yay
    Now. I DLed GF3 Drivers for linux.. Just a simple Question. HOW DO U RUN IT?
    the file name is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run But it doesn't do anything.
    Ohh and i Tryed to Install Tribes 2. can't run Autorun.exe
    Sorry about all this stupid Questions but is like i got out of "The Matrix" (WIndows) and facing the real world (LINUX)

Linux User
    1. first, type this: chmod 755 NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run and type ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run. and dont forget the ./
    But when that is done, im not shure if nvidia updates your xfree config file, but to do it manually, type " nano /etc/X11/XF86Config " and press ctrl - w (this is assuming you are using the nv driver) and type nv. now, instead of nv, add in "nvidia" and exit.
    restart X and your driver is installed.

2. To run windows applications, try winex. The binary is not free, but the cvs code is free. www.transgaming.com

Good luck

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluminx
    Now. I DLed GF3 Drivers for linux.. Just a simple Question. HOW DO U RUN IT?
    the file name is NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run But it doesn't do anything.
    Alright, what I did was, since I'm using Mandrake 9.1, I hit CTRL+ALT+F2 to get "out" of the X window, logged in as root(su, then root password), typed telinit 3

Then, after it gets out of X, you type
    Code:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run
    Then, after it runs and installs, the best thing to do is type telinit 5(This restarts I believe), load up your /etc/x11/xf86config file, and change "nv" to "nvidia"

Restart, and it'll be installed correctly(If there's a giant NVIDIA splash screen, then it's done right)

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by revolve
    the best thing to do is type telinit 5(This restarts I believe)
    Sorry, but that's not entirely correct. telinit changes your current runlevel, and if you're already in runlevel 5, it does nothing. It will work if you first run telinit 3 and then telinit 5 again, but if you already are in runlevel 5, the easiest way is to just log out and press CTRL+ALT+BkSpc to make the X server terminate itself. gdm will then reload it and any new configuration will take effect.
    Also, with the latest version of the nVidia installer, you might not have to change you /etc/X11/XF86Config manually; it might do it for you. I'm not sure, though.