Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
guyz..i can't understand y u guyz running many linux on the same machine...what i know is kernel,distro's version and packaging system version differs..oni that....can some one give answer why u ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why running manylinux on the same machine...

guyz..i can't understand y u guyz running many linux on the same machine...what i know is kernel,distro's version and packaging system version differs..oni that....can some one give answer why u run many linux distro's on the same machine...

I do it because I like playing around with operating systems, that's all.

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Newbie
    I did that in the past as i had gentoo 2004.1 and yoper 2.1 installed and that is really a challenge to setup the two systems good and running well
    Q: what\'s tiny and yellow and very, very, dangerous?
    A: a canary with the super-user password.

Just Joined!
    but basically all linux do the same job.... trying to duak booting 2 linuxes...i can understand....but for fun??? ur wasting ur hard drive space ....

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi85
    but basically all linux do the same job.... trying to duak booting 2 linuxes...i can understand....but for fun??? ur wasting ur hard drive space ....
    not if you share the same /home and swap partitions, then you're really not losing much space. there are many differences between distros, and you can find out more info about that in other threads in the forums. i can see why someone might run more than one distro at once for several reasons though. let's say someone wants to use a source distro or hard-to-learn distro like slack or gentoo, but isn't completely comfortable moving away from rpms and easy config in distros like fedora, suse, mandrake, etc. that would be one (of many) reasons to dual boot two distros.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    I do it because I like playing around with operating systems, that's all.
    Me too
    The second reason: when u work in an entreprise it's very rare to find one where all the servers are under the same *nix.
    Example in my school: a RH8 entreprise for the mail server, HP-UX and SOlaris for NFS, FreeBSD for the web site, I currently install a debian server for the lug...
    If u're not capable to switch easily from one distro to an other u're nothing.That's why I found great to have boxes all mine (like slack or Sourcemage) and boxes more professional (like Debian fairly used on the marcket server )

Just Joined!
    gnux..tht i can understand....izzit possible to use a same partition for distro's??

Quote Originally Posted by yogi85
    gnux..tht i can understand....izzit possible to use a same partition for distro's??
    That depends on th partition. /home/ and swap partitions can be used by multiple distros (I do this myself). Your root partition cannot, obviously, since that's where your distro-specific data is kept.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    That depends on th partition. /home/ and swap partitions can be used by multiple distros (I do this myself). Your root partition cannot, obviously, since that's where your distro-specific data is kept.
    I did that too
    Just a question: do u think it's possible to share a swap partition between FreeBSD and GNU/linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnux
    Just a question: do u think it's possible to share a swap partition between FreeBSD and GNU/linux?
    That's a good question. I'm not sure how FreeBSD formats its swap partitions.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast