Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
my problem is as the title might suggest i cant load facebook... I was running linpus when it stopped loading, then linpus itself died anyway, so i got ubuntu which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I cant load facebook

my problem is as the title might suggest i cant load facebook...

I was running linpus when it stopped loading, then linpus itself died anyway, so i got ubuntu which i much prefer but still have the same problem with it, it just doesn't load.. well it says its loaded but nothings there.
    I'm using firefox, and i did download chrome to see if it was a firefox problem, evidently chrome couldnt load it either, I know facebook works because when i use another computer its fine.
    usually i wouldnt care but as im travelling facebook is somewhat essential for keeping in contact and uploading my photos. and as i have my own netbook it makes no sense to pay to use internet cafe, and risk my usb or SD being corrupted...

So i can conclude its not facebook, its not my distro, its not firefox or chrome... any ideas?
    anyone had a similar problem?

any help would be great thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimibruvvv View Post
    my problem is as the title might suggest i cant load facebook...

I was running linpus when it stopped loading, then linpus itself died anyway, so i got ubuntu which i much prefer but still have the same problem with it, it just doesn't load.. well it says its loaded but nothings there.
    I'm using firefox, and i did download chrome to see if it was a firefox problem, evidently chrome couldnt load it either, I know facebook works because when i use another computer its fine.
    usually i wouldnt care but as im travelling facebook is somewhat essential for keeping in contact and uploading my photos. and as i have my own netbook it makes no sense to pay to use internet cafe, and risk my usb or SD being corrupted...

So i can conclude its not facebook, its not my distro, its not firefox or chrome... any ideas?
    anyone had a similar problem?

any help would be great thanks
    I would turn off ipv6 for your distribution this maybe causing your website from loading. Each distribution has a different way of turning this off.

Cheers!
    etech97

Just Joined!
    whats ipv6? sorry im fairly new to linux, im running ubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by jimibruvvv View Post
    whats ipv6? sorry im fairly new to linux, im running ubuntu 10.04
    This is a link that explains ipV6 it has several other links within it:

define:IPv6 - Google Search

And this is the link on how to disable ipV6 in Ubuntu:

How To Disable IPv6 In Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx ~ Web Upd8

I hope that this helps you!

Cheers!
    etech97

Just Joined!
    id love to say that it worked but it hasnt.... any other ideas?

it has made firefox much quicker though which is a plus!

The next think that I would try is clearing all Browsing cookies....etc out of Firefox and then trying to get onto facebook.......if that doesn't work then try the next step.

In your home directory you have a hidden file called .mozilla rename it to .mozilla_old then start Firefox and see if you can get into Facebook. Don't worry that your addons won't be their or your bookmarks we can get them back.

Cheers!
    etech97

Can you ping facebook?

Open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    ping -c 10 www.facebook.com
    When it finishes, do you have any packet loss?

Just Joined!
    Ive deleting cookies and i changed the hidden file, do i need to delete the .mozilla file?
    because that hasnt worked either

in reply to reed9, i can ping facebook and there is no package loss whatsoever

I keep several browsers installed. Sometimes a bug in one will cause display problems. See if you can access with Konqueror. Also, the browser may have the wrong password saved (?)

Just Joined!
    i assume konquerer is another browser?
    i did download chrome and that didnt do anything, its not login on facebook its just facebook as a whole the entire site just doesnt connect.
    the status bar says witinf for facebook.com...... then just says done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast