Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is my computer: (linuxforums refuses to let me post the link to the manufactuer's page. ) It's a Gateway ZX4800 Graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Severe problem, random power cuts

This is my computer: (linuxforums refuses to let me post the link to the manufactuer's page. ) It's a Gateway ZX4800

Graphics card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family (GMA 4500, I think. Something to do with "i965")
    CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4300 2.10GHz
    Motherboard: ?

Hello. I like using Linux. It's fun and I love learning about it the more I use it. The problem is that my hardware doesn't seem to be supported, or isn't configured properly.

I've tried many times to get help in the openSUSE IRC, and by searching with Google. Neither have helped.

I have openSUSE 11.3, 64-bit, Gnome edition installed on my computer. It has many issues that I think may be related. I would appreciate any help as these are my only obstacles with using Linux full-time, and I'm afraid they might be damaging my hardware.

-Rarely turns the fans on, causing my computer to overheat often. As a workaround, I set the fans to constantly run at 100% speed in the BIOS.

-The backlight dims a few seconds after I stop moving the mouse or typing, then it brightens back up to whatever level it was previously at. In other words, it fades out and then back in whenever I stop or start using an input device. If I use my mouse while it's fading out, the brightness gets stuck at whatever level it's at until I manually change it. This only happens under Gnome as far as I know. This happens regardless of what my power manager settings are. I've tested them all to no effect.

-(The Severe Problem) The power on my computer randomly cuts off, with no warning. It happens as if someone pulled the power cord out. This can happen every 30 minutes, or not once for days. The only time I've been able to duplicate this is when adjusting the backlight brightness in the Gnome power manager. Sometimes it will cut off when I do that.

-Also, the speakers used to emit a hissing noise that sounded like some kind of feedback from the hard drive. This only happened when I plugged headphones it, and did not affect the headphone's sound, only the internal speakers'. I have fixed this by setting "snd-hda-intel model=toshiba". The only reason I bring it up is because I think it could possibly be related to the other issues.

Setting "apm=off" doesn't seem to do anything. I can't use "acpi=off" because that disables the LVDS output of my video card.

I can boot into openSUSE, but I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my hardware. I don't have the money to replace my computer, or any of it's parts, if they get fried. So, keep this in mind if you want me to try some settings for testing purposes.

If anyone can help, please do.

Howdy and Welcome Snake.

Gateway One ZX4800 Series
    Featuring the same design but on a reduced scale, the ZX4800 Series is ideal for smaller environments, such as a dorm, home office or kitchen. Priced unbelievably low for an all-in-one with multi-touch, these models deliver all the power and technology needed for general productivity applications, watching movies and home videos, viewing digital photos, or casual game playing.

Models include a 20-inch high-definition widescreen display, an Intel Pentium processor, roomy hard drives, integrated graphics, webcam, wireless networking and wireless keyboard and mouse.

Gateway One ZX4800-02

* MSRP: $749.99
    * Windows® 7 Home, Premium Edition, 64-bit
    * 20-inch HD widescreen Ultrabright™ LCD / 1600 x 900 resolution

* Resolution: 1600 x 900 resolution
    * Brightness: 250 cd/m2
    * Response time: 5 ms
    * Contrast ratio: 1000:1
    * Intel® Pentium® Dual Core Processor T4300 (2.1GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 800MHz FSB)
    * Intel® GL40 Express Chipset
    * Intel® GMA X4500HD Graphics
    * 4GB DDR2 dual channel memory (800MHz)
    * 750GB SATA hard drive (1)
    * 8x DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti optical drive (slot load)
    * Multi-in-one digital media card reader
    * Integrated 802.11 b/g/DRAFT-N Wi-Fi CERTIFIED®
    * 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) LAN
    * 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 side / 4 rear)
    * Wireless keyboard and mouse
    * Integrated HD webcam
    * Embedded high-definition audio with 5.1 channel audio support
    * Built-in 5 watt stereo speakers
    Is that your box? Googled Your Model using Linux search and only hit I got was a guy tryinng to get touchscreen working in Ubuntu.
    [ubuntu] Touchscreen driver for Gateway ZX4800? - Ubuntu Forums

Trying a Fedora search hoping more members would give some hits did not pan out for me.
    Gateway ZX4800 fedora - Google Search

So not really sure what to tell you since I run AntiX instead of a rpm distro like Open Suse or Fedora or PCLOS.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Yes, that's my computer. But it isn't an openSUSE thing. It's a Linux (or maybe just a Gnome) thing. I've had the same problems on Ubuntu/Mint as well.a

Well. I run Conky to moniter fan speeds and temps on my EEEPCs. I mention this as it sounds your gear runs hot. Hence the

-(The Severe Problem) The power on my computer randomly cuts off, with no warning. It happens as if someone pulled the power cord out. This can happen every 30 minutes, or not once for days. The only time I've been able to duplicate this is when adjusting the backlight brightness in the Gnome power manager. Sometimes it will cut off when I do that.
    Being not familier with your gear or operating system. All I can figure is that the video driver being used is maybe putting a stress on the system. I woud moniter temp in gnome with the computer tempature applet available for Gnome taskbar.

Computer Temperature Monitor is a little applet for the GNOME desktop that shows the temperature of your computer CPU and disks on screen. It also allows you to log temperatures to a file. You can set alarms to notify you when a tempertature is reached. Several monitors can be added to the panel to monitor different sensors. It is designed to look like the CPU Frequency Gnome applet. This applet used to be called Laptop Temperature Monitor.
    I guess it should be in YAST if needed. Just posting to bump your thread (Maybe some Open Suse members will reply). You probaby would get more looks if you included Open Suse Gnome it the title of your thread. You can edit/change it.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I would say to check your Power supply, it could be on the fritz. If this is a desktop model, pop the case off and look at the motherboard.....check the capacitors on the motherboard...make sure none are leaking or popped, it'll look similar to an exploded can of soda. Like the images in this link.
    Busted capacitors.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thank you, but it is not overheating. The power cutting off is something different. The fans are on full-time. The air coming out of the back is cool. If I boot into Windows, it never cuts off or overheats.

It was overheating earlier because the fans wouldn't come on. I already fixed that.

This is solely a software problem.

I think it may be an issue with the GNOME power manager. I've installed KDE beside the default GNOME DE and my monitor no longer flickers. I haven't been using it very long, but so far the computer hasn't cut off under KDE.

I'm hoping maybe everything's fine now.