Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to these forums, so hello OK, so I'm currently running Windows 7 and Ubuntu (installed with wubi) and what I want to do is completly replace both of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Restoring windows from recovery after linux installation

I'm new to these forums, so hello

OK, so I'm currently running Windows 7 and Ubuntu (installed with wubi) and what I want to do is completly replace both of these with a different Linux Distribution.

while I was looking at how I would partition my hard drive for this, I noticed the windows recovery partition and what I want to know is this: if I leave this recovery partition as it is, but delete the windows partition when installing the new Linux, will I be able to restore back to Windows later on using this? (In case something goes wrong - I have the worst luck with these things). And if so, does it need to be a specific partition - like how windows likes to go first?

Thank you.

Linux Guru
    You can install Linux on one partition. Usually, it is suggested that you create a small swap partition (1-2GB) depending upon the amount of RAM you have. Some people like to have a separate boot partition or a separate /home partition. That's more or less a personal choice. You don't give any information on your computer/hardware?

Whether you will later be able to recover windows 7 depends upon several factors.
    I doubt you have a full installation CD for windows as they are rarely included with OEM installs but then you did not indicate if windows 7 came preinstalled?

Usually you need a Recovery CD to access the Recovery partition and when you first boot windows it suggests you do this. Did you make a Recovery CD? If you do not have one, I would suggest creating one before you do anything else. You can also download one from neosmart technologies site. You can probably purchase one from whoever your computer manufacturer is.

Just Joined!
    If you have a recovery partition, then you don't need a recovery disk as stated in the post above. The whole idea of the recovery partition is so that the user doesn't need a disk to reinstall, and can usually choose an option from the boot menu to start system recovery.

As long as you keep this partition intact, then you can use it at a later date to reinstall windows.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Not only do you need to leave the recovery partition intact,
    but you need to have the option to boot into it.
    Your computer normally gives you this option at boot
    time.

When you install Linux, it will replace the standard boot loader
    in the Master Boot Record with its own. The installer
    will probably give you the option of setting up a dual
    boot system with any Operating Systems it finds already
    installed.

If the installer recognizes the recovery partition and sets up
    an option to boot it, you are good to go.

Just Joined!
    ahh I see. Thanks very much!