Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an older Compaq Evo N610c. Has a P4 Intel and 512MB of Ram. Now the kicker I think there is an issue with the media drive on it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Compaq Evo Intel P4 512 Needs Distro.

I have an older Compaq Evo N610c. Has a P4 Intel and 512MB of Ram. Now the kicker I think there is an issue with the media drive on it (DVD). I had an install of Pentoo on it for a long time AWESOME loved it. Now I have grown to want updates of some software so on so forth. I am wanting to install a different OS on it but not sure where to go with it. I like all the penetration apps in pentoo but that is not distro specific. I have now tried Arch (My prefered distro at the moment), Gentoo (Prior prefered), and a few others symbian, Chakra, and Crux. Some I get I/O errors on. Gentoo fails out at Kernel R/W error creating initramfs.img. Some say not enough memory for Gui installer try text installer has issues finding devs. I am about to unfortunately try to install Ubuntu good distro just have grown out of it. I basicly want an awesome distro to install into this thing fairly eaisy and have it be stable. I work on Linux based servers all day so I really dont want to put to much time into a portable dev just to check email. Any suggestions on a distro for this box? Please no DSL!
    Last edited by Anspliff; 12-03-2010 at 02:43 AM.

Gee. I am prejeduced. So

Index of /antix/Testing

Don't be fooled by Testing logo of webpage. I am AntiX contributor and run these full time. They are stable and include bug fixes from official release on official webpage.

Use the core iso if you want to go small and build up from there. Comes stock with Debian Testing repositories, smxi from H2.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

Just another route using Ubuntu repositories

At least the ones I am suggesting can be built on better than DSL

In case you wanna experiment (it's Arch Linux Based but probably not to stable)
    I know you said
    I basicly want an awesome distro to install into this thing fairly eaisy and have it be stable
    ConnochaetOS [ConnochaetOS]
    Like I said. I am predjudiced. To me AntiX fits the above quote best because it does not follow the Mepis or Debian Herd so much. smxi is verbotin in Debian now. But can be installed externally into any Debian distro like Aptosid which is another you can play with.

Choices, Choices.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide on doing.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I think most of us strict linux users are prejeduced about our distros. As I am prejeduced against RPM based distros because I work on CentOS all day. So when I get home I really dont want to be on a RPM based distro. I really do appriciate the link I will definitely look into it. I really am thinking there is a Hardware issue with this laptop now after a few other things. I just ran through a Tablet PC with gentoo and that was a fun little project with wacom and all. I just am not wanting another project after that so I hope it is a hardware issue for once and I can get an easy expandable distro on it. TY

Your welcome. I am not familiar with Compaq since Yet Another Technology Site: Compaq Armada 1540DM running Windows 95 and Linux Puppy 2.15CE

and Yet Another Technology Site: Damn Small Linux 4.0 install on Compaq 1540DM

Sold that unit long ago. Battery worked good on it to. I like AntiX because I have installed on exotic gear like Amrel to IBM and Asus EEEpcs.
    Not a hiccup for me yet. Had to use a Kernel update via smxi to get wireless going on a EEEPC 701SD though. Grabbed it using hardline connection. No big deal though. Needed a rtl8187.ko not available in 2.6.32 mepis smp so I use a 2.6.35 Liqourix kernel that includes that .ko.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I will have to look into to those as this is my first go around with a compaq laptop. I have configured many Compaq p3 1GB presario's for firewalls. But that is unrelated to what I am trying to accomplish with this laptop. I figured going full Gentoo would be a good bet or I was going to go LFS but as I said I really dont want another project at the moment. I have downloaded AntiX and am installing into a VB for fun at the moment. I have other boxes to use so the laptop is something I would like to peice together with patience. Thanks again. I love turning old hardware into useful machines again.