Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I am thinking about upgrading my OS to winxp pro beacuse it has a more stable kernal and doesnt crash, also "Me" is pushing on a little now. I spoke ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Would XP Cause Problems With Linux

I am thinking about upgrading my OS to winxp pro beacuse it has a more stable kernal and doesnt crash, also "Me" is pushing on a little now.

I spoke to someone on a different forum and he said that xp may not work in dual boot with the suse 8.2 pro that i have.

I would be grateful if you could clear this up.

thanks!

Linux Guru
    XP has no problem dual booting with Linux. It may very well overwrite your MBR during the installation, though, so have a boot disk ready so that you can get back into Linux, though.
    Windows has some other limitations, though. Windows installations _need_ to be on a primary partition on the first hard drive, so do keep that in mind. Also, don't be fooled. XP sure crashes, only not as often as 9x/ME.

I have Red hat 9, XP and windows server 2003 in a triple boot and I never had a problem. ME is crap. I still don't see why MS released it

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Actually, I don't see why they release any version of Windows, but, yeah, ME is something special in terms of suckdom.

Linux Engineer
    Susepro,

Windows XP is a power, memory hungry OS. While it maybe more stable than Windows ME (I absolutely don't understand why MS released this OS), it's no way near as stable as Linux. If you must go to Windows OS, might I suggest Windows 2000? I dual boot with 2000 and Debian. I'm actually spending a lot more time in Debian use as opposed to earlier times when I used to use Windows 2000 more often.

Allblack,

Windows 2003 server? Any particular reason why you might be running a server OS for a pc?
    The best things in life are free.

I basically installed for study purposes. I need to upgrade my MCSE soon
    I haven't even used it so far.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    XP has no problem dual booting with Linux. It may very well overwrite your MBR during the installation, though, so have a boot disk ready so that you can get back into Linux, though.
    Windows has some other limitations, though. Windows installations _need_ to be on a primary partition on the first hard drive, so do keep that in mind. Also, don't be fooled. XP sure crashes, only not as often as 9x/ME.
    I'm fairly certain that Windows XP doesn't need to be on the first hard drive. I am running SuSE 8.1 on SCSI id 0 and Windows XP on SCSI id 3. Using Disk Manager within Windows XP correctly shows Windows XP being on Hard Disk 2.

I would recommend XP over 2000 if you want it to play games on, also it "feels" faster to me.

XP boots faster for sure and it is slightly less memory hungry than w2k.
    Windows 2000 does not make a good choice for a home machine, although I have a feeling it is slightly more stable than XP (IMHO)

Cheers

Linux User
    hi

I have a dual boot environment with Linux and Windows Xp , in my case Linux wrote on my MBR...everything works like a charm...

Linux Engineer
    gzunk,
    Quote Originally Posted by gzunk
    I'm fairly certain that Windows XP doesn't need to be on the first hard drive. I am running SuSE 8.1 on SCSI id 0 and Windows XP on SCSI id 3. Using Disk Manager within Windows XP correctly shows Windows XP being on Hard Disk 2.
    I think what Dolda2000 is suggesting is that it must be on the first partition of any hard drive. He just picked the first hard drive since it's the most convenient one that everyone uses. If you don't believe him, create two partitions on one hard drive and see what happens. I gurantee that Windows will write over the MBR causing LILO or GRUB to be erased.

Allblack,

Where did you get the idea that XP eats less memory than Win2K?
    The best things in life are free.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast