Find the answer to your Linux question:
Could someone explain the advantages of upgrading the kernel from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9 devel. I have only been using linux for about a month or so, and despite all of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

kernel upgrade

Could someone explain the advantages of upgrading the kernel from 2.6.8 to 2.6.9 devel.
    I have only been using linux for about a month or so, and despite all of the problems I have had, I am still really happy with linux's performance over that of Windows. But there is still some stuff I don't understand like what exactly the kernel does, and what upgrading it will do.

My pc is an Emachine )>:, with a P4 processor, onboard video and sound, dual boot with Windows XP and Fox Linux(part of Redhat Linux), 60 GB hard drive, 256 MB of ram.

Well if you have only using linux for a month and everything works as far as hardware then i wouldnt bother compiling a new kernel (and if it all dosnt work then i would just re-compile the kernel that you already have with support for what you need) The 2.6.9Deval is the newest probablp not a stable version with the newest drivers for testing.

The kernel is the real operating system it is what runs your hardware (it ports your hardware to your software) it contains the drivers that run ur hardware or on some distros some of your drivers are in your kernel while some are built as modules and loaded as nessary...

see this>>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-3346.html

~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Thanks loft306 for the link, that explained alot that I didn't understand.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ