Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I need help with knoppix linux. I am new to the linux world, so please go slow if you answer my question. Thanks.. Anyways I would like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help needed on using knoppix linux

Hi everyone,

I need help with knoppix linux. I am new to the linux world, so please go slow if you answer my question. Thanks.. Anyways I would like to be able to add a program to image a drive, and put it into my knoppix cd. First is how do I right a program to image a drive. Second how can I add it to the knoppix cd. I think I will have to add it to the iso, and reburn the cd but I not sure how to do that. If all you know how to do is tell me how to image a drive or write a program to do that I would greatly apperiate that. I really need that first, and I can play with the rest later. Thank you in advance to all that help me.

Knoppix has a disk utility included : fdisk or cfdisk; which will format/partition a drive.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Just Joined!
    Is format/ partition a drive the same as imaging it? I wanted to know how to do this, so I could put the contains of a drive back or in a different drive in case I wanted the info back. This is just in case I format the wrong drive and lose an important file by aciddent.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: Help needed on using knoppix linux

Quote Originally Posted by teresaduwel
    Hi everyone,

I need help with knoppix linux. I am new to the linux world, so please go slow if you answer my question. Thanks.. Anyways I would like to be able to add a program to image a drive, and put it into my knoppix cd. First is how do I right a program to wipe a drive. Second how can I add it to the knoppix cd. I think I will have to add it to the iso, and reburn the cd but I not sure how to do that. If all you know how to do is tell me how to image a drive or write a program to do that I would greatly apperiate that. I really need that first, and I can play with the rest later. Thank you in advance to all that help me.

i cant understand...u want to install the knoppix into ur hard drive???

Just Joined!
    yogi85,

no I want to add a tool to "image a drive" to the knoppix cd that I have. I have downloaded all on the files from the knoppix cd to my hard drive, just in case I need to add something to the package then reburn the cd. I thought it would be pretty cool to have a portable linux os that could image a drive on any computer. This is so I dont aciddently delete any files from the computers I try this out on. Hope this helps you understand what I am trying to do. Please respond if you need anymore explaination. Thank you for your help.

Just Joined!
    oh, i think this should work (correct me if i'm wrong):

#mount -o loop /path/to/knoppix.iso /mount/point
    #chmod /mount/point 777
    #cp /path/to/program /mount/point
    #chroot /mount/point

---NORMAL COMPILING STUFF---

#exit
    #umount /path/to/knoppix.iso
    #exit

---NORMAL BURNING STUFF---

I may be wrong, but meh, its the thought that counts :P