Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am new to linux and trying to learn. I setup Mandrake 8.2 on a compaq desktop and the install did not detect the NIC card. The card is built ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing a NIC driver

I am new to linux and trying to learn. I setup Mandrake 8.2 on a compaq desktop and the install did not detect the NIC card. The card is built in the motherboard and is a Intel Pro 100. I downloaded the Linux drivers from Intels site but i cant install the drivers. I read the installation guide and i cant get past the part where it says to Compile the driver. It says to do a make install, but when i type that in, it say make command not found.
    Can ne1 help me with this.

Linux Guru
    That's just because you don't have the make packet installed. Mandrake uses RPMs, doesn't it? I'm not sure though, but anyway, you should be able to install it from your installation CD. The RPM's name is just "make", but if mandrake doesn't use RPMs, I don't know the name of the package. You should be able to find out somehow, though.

Linux Enthusiast
    you should not need this, as the kernel comes with plenty of modules, one of them supports your (rather standard) Intel EEPro 100 (I am guessing from what you said). The module is called eepro100 or eepro, I forget. as root try `modprobe eepro` and `modprobe eepro100`. One of these should work, and auto-detect it.
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.