Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two identical hard drives, and have used dd to make one a duplicate of the boot drive. I have set up rsync (as root ) to run nightly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using rysync to mirror entire system - what to omit

I have two identical hard drives, and have used dd to make one a duplicate of the boot drive.

I have set up rsync (as root) to run nightly to mirror the backup drive from the boot drive. There are a bunch of directories/files that fail (mainly is /sys) due to lack of permission - some of the sys files are write-only.

Can someone suggest what directories I can exclude from the mirroring?

I would like to be able to either boot the backup drive in case of a boot drive failure, or reinstall Ubuntu on a new disk, then copy the files back from the backup (or use dd, or whatever)

Any thoughts?

Thanks

/sys and /proc are virtual filesystems that provide info on the kernel, devices, drivers, processes, etc. Both can be excluded.

In general I would say it's easier and probably faster to reinstall that re-copy everything. I just backup configuration files and of course personal files. So my whole /home directory and then /etc and possibly /root if you've configured anything there for the root user.

Beyond that, I backup a list of installed packages for easy reinstallation. How to do this depends on your package manager. For example in Ubuntu you can do
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --get-selections > installed-applications.txt
    and reinstall with
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed-applications.txt
    sudo apt-get -y update
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    For Arch I use
    Code:
    pacman -Qqe > installed-packages.txt
    and can reinstall with
    Code:
    pacman -S $(< installed-packages.txt)
    If you have limited bandwith or a slow internet connection, you might want to backup the package cache. Again, the location varies distro to distro, but should be in /var somewhere. I think Ubuntu is /var/cache/apt/archives.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    /sys and /proc are virtual filesystems that provide info on the kernel, devices, drivers, processes, etc. Both can be excluded.

In general I would say it's easier and probably faster to reinstall that re-copy everything. I just backup configuration files and of course personal files. So my whole /home directory and then /etc and possibly /root if you've configured anything there for the root user.

Beyond that, I backup a list of installed packages for easy reinstallation. How to do this depends on your package manager. For example in Ubuntu you can do
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --get-selections > installed-applications.txt
    and reinstall with
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed-applications.txt
    sudo apt-get -y update
    sudo apt-get dselect-upgrade
    For Arch I use
    Code:
    pacman -Qqe > installed-packages.txt
    and can reinstall with
    Code:
    pacman -S $(< installed-packages.txt)
    If you have limited bandwith or a slow internet connection, you might want to backup the package cache. Again, the location varies distro to distro, but should be in /var somewhere. I think Ubuntu is /var/cache/apt/archives.
    Thanks!. I will have to test the procedure out on a spare disk drive, to be sure it works.

Larry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close