Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Can anyone tell me in which file on Linux do we set the oracle shared memory parameters and what do we need to do to bring those into effect. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

oracle on Linux

Hello,

Can anyone tell me in which file on Linux do we set the oracle shared memory parameters and what do we need to do to bring those into effect.

For eg on Solaris we set the shmmax, semmin etc parameters in
    /etc/system file and once rebooted they come into effect. I just wanted to know which all parameters need to be set on Linux and in which file.

Thanks in advance
    K

Linux Guru
    Is this the SysV IPC parameters that you are talking about? In that case, I don't think that they have any maximum number, so to speak. I haven't used Solaris. Would you care to explain more explicitly what you want to do, please?

Linux Engineer
    Don´t you set all thoose oracle tuning parameters, in your pfile(file) ...atleast we do so.. But the pfile can be located at different directorys, it depends how the technichan wants it structured.

Regards

Regards

Andutt

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi

Thanx a lot . I was talking about the system parameters ( kernel parameters ) that are required to be set for oracle. I am not sure about Linux ( where to set these parameters, what should be the values and all )

In solaris we set these parameters in the /etc/system file before starting to install Oracle. The parameters I am talking about are the following. These are taken from one of my solaris servers

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=4294967295
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
    set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
    set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semmns=600
    set semsys:seminfo_semopm=100
    set semsys:seminfo_semvmx=32767

Thanks
    K

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that they have to be set in Linux? I don't think that there is any max limit in limit, but if you're sure, I can check the kernel source for you.

Just Joined!
    Hello

Thanks. Actually I am not sure if these are to be set on Linux. Thats what I want to know if they are required or not. Also thanks for offering to look the kernel source but its not that important. It is just for a home Linux box where I want to install oracle server software so just wanted to make sure if there are any parameters to be set before installation. I havent worked that much on Linux !!

Again thanx for your help

K

Linux Guru
    I did check it out for you anyway, and this is what I found out: They are accessible in /proc/sys/kernel, by the names msgmax, msgmnb, msgmni, shmall, shmmax, shmmni and sem. sem contains four whitespace seperated columns, containing semmsl, semmns, semopm and semmni, in that order.
    If you want to use /etc/sysctl.conf to set them up to whatever you want, it translates to kernel.shmmax and so on.

Linux Engineer
    That was thoose parameters i ment, on our installation thoose parameters are parsed by oracle on startup from the pfile where all tuneeble parameters are located. What version are you planning to use?? If you are gona use 8.1.7 remember to export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL variable and use the oracle relink all command to relink oracle against the linux librarys. On oracle 9 that is solved though..

Regards

Regards

Andutt