Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Xircom MPCI Modem 56k but I can't make it work yet, I know it's a winmodem, but there's a driver for it, but can't install the driver ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't make my modem to work

I have a Xircom MPCI Modem 56k but I can't make it work yet, I know it's a winmodem, but there's a driver for it, but can't install the driver properly. It says the can't identify the ENVIRiment, also I don't have /dev/modem nor /dev/ttys3 created, but I newbie to all this, this is my second day using Linux (mandrake 9.1) and I don't understand many technical stuff.

so if someone can help me with simple lenaguage I will appreciate it a lot

Linux Guru
    How do you try to install the drivers, and _exactly_ what error messages does it return?

Just Joined!
    right now I'm trying with another driver, but now it's requesting the kernel-header which are supposed to be installed already, ignoring this I installed them manually but it gives me an error, it says there's a conflict with files related to glibc.ver.rpm

what can i do ?

Linux Guru
    In what way are you trying to install the drivers? Are you trying with an RPM or are you installing from source?

Just Joined!
    The one that is asking for the kernel-headers is from rpm. The other one from source and it says that can't indentify the enviriment.

Linux Guru
    I don't think that there is such an error as cannot identify the environment. Can you check the exact error message. Does it have anything with CC or PATH to do?