Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, can anyone please give me an explanation why files are automatically deleted. Maybe folder size is getting to large?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Files Vanished

Hi, can anyone please give me an explanation why files are automatically deleted.

Maybe folder size is getting to large?

Linux Engineer
    Are you using redhat as linux distribution??
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    Yes

Linux Guru
    What files are you referring to? I've never had a file automatically deleted in my life, unless I've put it in /tmp.

Just Joined!
    It is allot of pics under one directory... the are about 4 thousands pics. Maybe the directory is getting to big? Could it be a bug in redhat?

Linux Guru
    4000 files is nothing for Linux. At the time I were running Samba on the system connected directly to the internet and people were trying to crack it all the time, some 100000 files or so were getting gathered in the log directory without showing this problem.
    Where are you putting these files? In your home dir? Is it occurring completely randomly or is there some kind of pattern? Do you have some process running that could be doing it?

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it is in the home directory. There is no process that I know of that could be running.

I discovered this problem when I started generating pages. And it is difficult to think that it's my uploader script, because it's been running for almost 3 years now, and no problems accured during that period.

It isn't the generating script either, because I have not executed it lately, and the problem is still there.

I'll try and figure this problem out, there must be a logical explanation.

Linux Guru
    Try to write-protect the directory and see if some program starts complaining.