Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Stormblazer A USB flash drive can't have software to "make it bootable" - this is totally dependent on the BIOS of the machine. I meant software to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    A USB flash drive can't have software to "make it bootable" - this is totally dependent on the BIOS of the machine.
    I meant software to automatically copy over whatever files are required to allow the BIOS to boot it. Not that I need the process automated, so long as there is a clean set of instructions somewhere. So what your saying is that what the review said was BS, they're all capable of being booted on?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    Also, the speed is dependent on two things: The system you plug it into, and the drive's interface speed.
    If you plug a drive into a USB 1.0 / 1.1 slot, it doesn't matter how fast the drive is, it's limited to USB 1.0/1.1 speeds (SLOW). Conversely, if the drive is only USB 1.0/1.1 and you plug it into a 2.0 slot, you'll still only get USB 1.1/1.0 speeds.
    USB 1.0/1.1/2.0 slots all look the same, BTW
    And according to one of the pages I read, both the device and interface could be 2.0 but still run on the slowest possible transfer speed. I'd want something reasonably fast on 2.0 and backwards compatible with 1.0.

So the overall vibe I'm getting is one of "To hell with it, pick any of them, they'll all probably work fine".
    \"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces.\" - Sluggy Freelance

Well...

That's easy enough, simply mount it under Linux and make a boot disk, telling Linux to write it to /dev/sda1 (or whatever your kernel sees it as, probably sda1). Now, it'd be even easier to do it with DAMN Small Linux, you could PROBABLY just use the cdrecord utility to do it. (If not, hey, it's flash memory, you can just erase/reformat it.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2