Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, i am trying to find were did the java installer install everything, i've been looking for the files unsuccesfully. Is there like a grep or awk way to start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Finding directories or files

Hello, i am trying to find were did the java installer install everything, i've been looking for the files unsuccesfully. Is there like a grep or awk way to start looking in all directories starting from root and look for a particular string for a directory?

Linux Engineer
    Code:
    updatedb && locate <filename>
    also, check the manpage for find(1)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Let's say you are looking for the "jdk" file name directory. So you move to root and type updatedb -a jdk. Is this right?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    updatedb places every filename on your system in a database for quick searching using locate(1)..

find searches the hdd and not a database.. find is good for files that just got added and locate is good for quick searches of already existing stuff...

you should put updatedb as a nightly cron so that it is always up to date...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr