Find the answer to your Linux question:
I personally use Debian and I'm in love nothing else for me lol....well except the complete fail Gentoo install i did. But I was gonna look at LMDE but.....Is there ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation [SOLVED] Diffrences LMDE and Debian

I personally use Debian and I'm in love nothing else for me lol....well except the complete fail Gentoo install i did. But I was gonna look at LMDE but.....Is there really a difference?

I've read things and all I can really understand as "differences" is that LMDE is maybe easier to install and maybe easier for people new to linux to understand it better. So an honest question besides that is there REALLY any differences between the 2?

They use all the same packages. It's just I dont know, IMO The Linux Mint company just put an ubuntu skin over Debian and said Here you go have fun.

Thanks for the help on understanding this more.

I know i ask more questions than actually answering questions. Sorry I like learning as much as possible

Linux Guru
    The Linux Mint company just put an ubuntu skin over Debian and said Here you go have fun. ]
    Probably a lot more than that going on. I don't use LMDE. Path to files and whatever LMDE uses for Goodies only used in Mint like a Desktop Control Center or the way certain Goodies that are only used in Mint.

That is probably why The folks at Debian Forums refers OPs to post their LMDE queries in Other Operating Systems section instead of Debian Users section. LMDE and Debian are 2 different Distros. More going on there than just a GUI.

See I get that but at the LMDE website They make it sound like it's Debian running like Ubuntu.

So maybe someone that uses LMDE can enlighten me on the situation or someone that just loves testing operating systems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dethklok02895 View Post
    See I get that but at the LMDE website They make it sound like it's Debian running like Ubuntu.

So maybe someone that uses LMDE can enlighten me on the situation or someone that just loves testing operating systems.
    LMDE is not the same as Debian or Ubuntu. Its a distribution built on top of Debian and therefore it will have similarities as well as some differences to Debian. The normal Linux Mint version is built on top of Ubuntu. Its not just a skin because the developers include custom apps and customisations which are not in Ubuntu.

Ok so it's Debain customized even further from a regular ISO install.....BAH this isnt helping just confusing me more lol.

From all I'm getting is it's Debian customized to how the ML community wanted it to be like.

Don't look at it from the point of view of someone grabbing a Debian iso, making a few customisations and calling it by a diffferent name, because that does not accurately portray what happens.

Many Linux distributions use other distributions as a base or starting point for building their own distro. So you will hear things like Ubuntu is based on Debian, PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva, RHEL is based on Fedora etc. What this means is that developers take a base system or snapshot of aanother distribution, refine it to their needs, quash any bugs, add packages to it, customise the look and feel and add their own custom apps. The resulting distribution is no longer the exact same thing as the "parent distribtuion" and in some instances incompatibilities arise between the distribtuions.

Basing distributions on others is not a new thing. Mandrake Linux used to be based on Red Hat and SUSE used to be based on Slackware. These are now all independent distros that don't use any other distro as a base.

I thought Fedora was based off RH....not important. See this explination makes perfect sense but how LM put it on thier website it just makes it sound like they reboxed Debian.

Thank You Marking as solved

In the case of Fedora its like the case of the chicken and the egg. The first releases of Fedora were based on the old Red Hat Linux code. Red Hat Linux was then scrapped in favour of RedHat Enterprise Linux which is built on top of Fedora.

It's more like the Egg, Chicken, and egg. Cause RH than Fedora than RHEL. Which i read somewhere it said that Fedora is like the bleeding edge version of RHEL.