Find the answer to your Linux question:
Why does grub need to be updated so often, or at all. What other functions does it have I do not see to need to be updated after it is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A Rather GRUBby Question, I know....

Why does grub need to be updated so often, or at all. What other functions does it have I do not see to need to be updated after it is already installed ???

Basically, can you explain the need for GRUB [and it's updates] beyond the obvious menu.lst files and how other things are affected ????

I wish to deepen my knowledge. So all minor details are a good for me to know, if you have the time to explain them.

*** Please bear in mind, my Linux knowledge is in it's infancy.

Thank you.

can you explain the need for GRUB
    Before understanding it's need, you must know that how an Operating System boots up. I would suggest you to check this wiki page (You can jump to Booting title directly).

Why does grub need to be updated so often, or at all.
    Are you updating GRUB manually? There is no need to do that unless you have multiboot setup and you are controlling other distros passively.
    Whenever Package Manager updates Kernel, it also updates GRUB to add an entry of updated Kernel.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Before understanding it's need, you must know that how an Operating System boots up. I would suggest you to check this wiki page (You can jump to Booting title directly).

Are you updating GRUB manually? There is no need to do that unless you have multiboot setup and you are controlling other distros passively.
    Whenever Package Manager updates Kernel, it also updates GRUB to add an entry of updated Kernel.
    Ho. The sudo apt-get upgrade keeps updating grub. My grub does not seem to serve any function to warrant the non stop updates it constantly endures.

So I wondered if there were like any dependencies it has to justify this update - O- Rama it goes through.

To me, as long as you do not add anything to the menu.lst or take anything away, you are good. you can just set it and forget it.●●●●●●

The constant GRUB updates Debian gives it seems retarded.

Can you shed any light on this ?

Thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by SA.com View Post
    To me, as long as you do not add anything to the menu.lst or take anything away, you are good. you can just set it and forget it.●●●●●●

Can you shed any light on this ?

Thanks!
    Built into a distro's packages are hooks which, when a package is installed, triggers an update to other stuff. The app someone just installed, for example, has a hook to trigger an update to the DE (Gnome, KDE, etc), so the app will automatically show up in the menu. Any package or update which affects the system in some way (kernel, module, firmware, dkms, virtual, etc) will trigger a corresponding update in grub's configuration to ensure the system boots properly.

Package Manager doesn't generate new menu.lst on every upgrade. As I mentioned earlier, If there is a kernel upgrade or optional driver settings upgrade, only then package manager execute update-grub command to add its entry in menu.lst file.

Why do you have problem with this? Does upgrade-grub changes anything thing in GRUB Menu except adding new kernel entry?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Package Manager doesn't generate new menu.lst on every upgrade. As I mentioned earlier, If there is a kernel upgrade or optional driver settings upgrade, only then package manager execute update-grub command to add its entry in menu.lst file.

Why do you have problem with this? Does upgrade-grub changes anything thing in GRUB Menu except adding new kernel entry?
    Because these updates often break the system and the old on was working fine. Grub updates after install is generally useless and it just is another update that only is added to a laundry list of updates that wreck your disro and 3 months of work setteng it up. I have wasted 2 years on setting it up, yes I do mean 8,000 hours setting up my distros after install and then losing them all to another bs update.
    Hence my question.