Find the answer to your Linux question:
I like to run terminal only using (I don't know the proper term...) alt>cntrl>F1, F2, etc . Problem is that my CPU temp skyrockets when I run that terminal. Is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

High CPU temp when alt>cntrl>F1 Terminal

I like to run terminal only using (I don't know the proper term...) alt>cntrl>F1, F2, etc . Problem is that my CPU temp skyrockets when I run that terminal. Is this normal or ?? I run Mint Julia 64 bit on a HP notebook.

Question #2 - maybe should be a second post - is how do I boot simply into terminal rather than in X-Windows to avoid this problem in the first place?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You need to turn off GDM (Gnome Display Manager), then you can login to a console screen instead of GUI. As for the temperature spike, it may be that the GUI is controlling the system fan, and when you shut the UI down, the fan stops.

Anyway, here is the shell code to remove the GDM: sudo update-rc.d -f gdm remove
    And to put it back: sudo update-rc.d -f gdm defaults
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Perfect. Thanks. Hopefully my 'remove gdm' adventure will help shed some light on this. Wasn't sure if both terminal and gdm running pulled a lot of system resources for some reason.