Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, i just came back from readind the java.sun.com documentation on how to install java on linux. The thing is that the process runs, but i can't find the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing java

Hi there, i just came back from readind the java.sun.com documentation on how to install java on linux. The thing is that the process runs, but i can't find the dir where supposedly it has been installed. Usually, as the documentations specifies, this is the usr/local directory. Here's the code i run to install: ./j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin. The last lines of this process are these, and i think the process ran smoothly:
    Code:
    Unpacking...
    Checksumming...
    Extracting...
    UnZipSFX 5.40 of 28 November 1998, by Info-ZIP (Zip-Bugs@lists.wku.edu).
    replace j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.rpm? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: A
      inflating: j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.rpm
    Done.
    What is wrong with this? Is it really the bin file i need to run? I am kinda down now cause last time i had no further issues, but now it's killing me.

Linux Engineer
    erm.. use rpm to install the rpm it unpacked....

(if you actually *read* the output, you'd know that it just unpacked an RPM and didn't install java..)
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Code:
    [root@00e0295c9f23 Installers]# rpm -i j2sdk-1_4_2_06-linux-i586.rpm
    package j2sdk-1.4.2_06-fcs is already installed
    It is already installed, but not where it usually installs it. I went to usr/local, directory in whick java or jdk is installed, last time i was installed there. But this time i can't find the java directory, instead, how can i do a search for a directory starting with "j" in all of the directories starting from /? Here's what i wrote to try and find the java dir:

Code:
    find / j2sdk-1.4.2_06-fcs

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Please don't mind this post, i just figured everything out. Thanks to lordnothing anyways. Cool man!!

Just Joined!
    Hi ..sheds ...!!! I have a problem when install J2SDK on Linux, it warns that :

packet j2sdk-1.4.2_06-fcs already installed

I can not find this packets.

Could you help me ....!!!