Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
All I want to do is hit *play* on my droid X and have the music come from my PC speakers. This works A-Okay in Windows but as far as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

bluetooth music from android to linux box

All I want to do is hit *play* on my droid X and have the music come from my PC speakers. This works A-Okay in Windows but as far as I can tell, it's not possible in linux without manually opening the file via remotely browsing the device.

I've got bluetooth working just fine in Linux for transferring files (blueman in Mint linux).

I've googled this for hours at a time, looking up things about a2dp and bluetooth audio, but all I can find is junk about headsets and other stuff that is [seemingly] completely irrelevant to my issue. Am I the only one in the world who's trying to do this?

Just Joined!
    I get to step 4 with "d-feet" and click Connect() but it throws back 'org.bluez.Error.ConnectFailed: Headset connect failed'

plus, I need to be able to connect straight from my droid without having to click junk on my computer.

Bluetooth is just a protocol for an ancient technology (radio frequency). Why does this have to be so friggin complicated?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroth View Post
    I get to step 4 with "d-feet" and click Connect() but it throws back 'org.bluez.Error.ConnectFailed: Headset connect failed'

plus, I need to be able to connect straight from my droid without having to click junk on my computer.

Bluetooth is just a protocol for an ancient technology (radio frequency). Why does this have to be so friggin complicated?
    I am having the same problem in connecting my Nexus One (gingerbread) to either my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop or my Scientific Linux 6 workstation. It pairs with either just fine, but I can't get a connection set up between either, even for file transfer... My Plantronics headset connects and works just fine on both, as well as on the phone. If you ever get this sorted out, I'd like to know how also!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Zeroth, you're not the only one trying to do it this way, but you're certainly one of the few. Going from phone to PC is not common. You didn't say what Linux distro you're using, and that might make a difference. BTW, you do know that there are wifi solutions to this, don't you? Google 'subsonic', although I'm not certain it works in all directions. What I use is a Sony HWS-BTA2W bluetooth receiver/transmitter which I bought some time back, connected to my stereo aux input. PC speakers aren't that wonderful, and I prefer something that sounds better, but that's just me. You could connect the Sony to the input of your sound card and connect that way. Admittedly it's not what you're looking for, but it works, and it may be the only thing that does.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    PC speakers aren't that wonderful...
    Generally, this is true. In my case, I have a nice set of Bose speakers attached to HD audio gear. They aren't as good as my big stereo speakers, but they are remarkably good for their size.

Horses for courses. I prefer to use my stereo, which has a remote, so I can control it from across the room, and have the best sound I can get. It also just works - press the play button and I have music. The Sony unit also works both ways, so I can stream from the stereo to a headset or my phone in another room. Or plug it into the PC and stream from it. In my car, I stream from my phone to the stereo, while using the phone for navigation at the same time, with the directions coming from the speakers, pausing the music while they are spoken. Technology is a wonderful thing, most of the time. But not necessarily all the time.

Well, that would be nice, if it weren't for the fact that my stereo is upstairs in the living room, and my office w/ computer are down here in the basement...

Bluetooth might reach that far. It should be good for 30 feet or so, but it does depend on the material in between. Bluetooth won't reach all the way across my house because of the walls. Wifi does, though, and I might try that someday, if I ever get enough ambition. It's a scarce commodity sometimes.

Just Joined!
    I did say what OS: Mint.

However, I do have a Gentoo box I want to use in this manner also.

I'm looking into subsonic. I've just about had it with Bluetooth in general.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast