Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yesterday, I installed Windows 2000 over my installation of Windows 98. It was only after this that I found out that installing such a program would delete the master boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Master boot record

Yesterday, I installed Windows 2000 over my installation of Windows 98. It was only after this that I found out that installing such a program would delete the master boot record. I can't figure out how to repair this problem so that I can boot into more than just Windows. I have it to play games, but I have Linux for everything else. Please help me.

many distro have a "rescue" feature, that will repair the mbr

Just Joined!
    Do you mean Windows or Linux? Because by only being able to boot into Windows, I mean that it bypasses any selection screen. It just starts Windows automatically.

I know that one thing I could do would be to reinstall Linux, and continue from there, but I have a lot of stuff saved that I don't want deleted.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    He's trying to tell you that your distro's install CD should have a rescue mode that will reinstall the bootloader, or drop you to a console so that you can do it yourself.

If you had searched the forums, you would have found a tutorial covering this *exact* issue. It is here.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Thank you for telling me. At the time I posted my problem, I didn't have time to search. Had I known that was there, I would have just read it.