Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am designing and implemention Firewall security in our linux system ,I want to know the system requirement specifications related to firewall work .Does any one worked on it. Also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

system requirement specification for firewall implementation

I am designing and implemention Firewall security in our linux system ,I want to know the system requirement specifications related to firewall work .Does any one worked on it.
    Also the test cases to test the firewall implementation.

that may depend on your linux dist
    in opensuse there are 2 packages that contain firewall software to run and configure a firewall

Trusted Penguin
    The Linux kernel implements firewall capability via netfilter, a packet filtering framework. It is exposed to userland via iptables commands. Like has been mentioned, its availability to you depends on your distro. The kernel included in the distro must have netfilter support built-in (this is pretty much guaranteed, but you can recompile a kernel to support it - not for the faint-hearted) and the distro must make iptables packages available (also pretty much guaranteed) or else you can build them from source (not recommended).

Some distros comes with a graphical utility that aids in configuring it. Eg. Fedora/CentOS/RH use system-config-firewall, which works all right.

Testing it is a simple as installing the required packages and starting up the firewall, then seeing if you can SSH into the box or if you have a web server running on the machine, see if a client browser on another machine can access it.