Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, I am dumbfounded by this issue. I use a Dell latitude d400, which uses Intel i855-GM graphics. I would like to find a Distro that Gnome 3's shell will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Gnome Shell and Intel i8xx

Ok, I am dumbfounded by this issue.

I use a Dell latitude d400, which uses Intel i855-GM graphics.

I would like to find a Distro that Gnome 3's shell will work with my graphics.

I have tried:

Fedora 15- was able to modify blacklist file (remove i8xx from the list), but the shell's rendering was full of errors

openSUSE gnome 3 re-spin- same rendering errors as above

Linux mint 11- when added the proper ppa and updated and installed the right stuff, it refused to start clutter.

In addition, some other questions:

1. is this related to the latest intel driver's architecture? I remember i8xx and i915 having bugs with it.

2. Is there any future hope for my laptop to run the shell or should I start saving up for a newer laptop?

Just Joined!
    I too have a d400 running opensuse 11.4 with gnome 3. I downloaded and booted the Gnome 3 live CD. This demonstration worked like a charm.
    After installing gnome 3, the default mode kicked in and hasn't worked since. It must be a configuration or setting. I'm working on it.

Here's what happened with my situation since the first post:

1. For my birthday, I acquired a dell latitude d630 with nvidia graphics that runs gnome shell without any issues.

2. I still kept the d400 going on fedora 15 (SUSE's yast 2 was a turnoff to me), and eventually an xorg intel update made everything but the invisible status icons work (after forcing the shell with gnome-shell --replace), then another update made it so if I even tried to run the shell manually, gnome-shell would crash and I would be out of luck. I haven't run it in a while, so i might run it and install updates and try again.

NOTE- I did try SUSE right after the gnome 3 re-spin came out... the same glitches occurred there as well, so I don't know why you had live cd success (I did not).

edit- after updates, it still crashes.
    Last edited by ratdude747; 08-05-2011 at 09:26 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close