Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need to install 3D drivers for my nVidia card on Mandrake 10.1. I have RTFM and STFW and regardless of what I do, I can't get it to work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

nVidia Drivers

I need to install 3D drivers for my nVidia card on Mandrake 10.1. I have RTFM and STFW and regardless of what I do, I can't get it to work. Any help would be great.

Linux Engineer
    To start, what have you done so far to try to install them? What errors are you getting? We need more information to troubleshoot your problem effectively.
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    Typically, I'll exit X and run the file. It'll start, fail to connect to nVidia's site for updates, and then complain that I haven't edited headers and quit. I don't know the exact error is. I'll try it again when I get home to my Linux box.

Linux Enthusiast
    Unless you're distro is really really new, you have an old version of the nVidia driver, or you rebuilt your kernel/have a customized kernel, it shouldn't need to connect to their site at all. In all the exceptions I mentioned, you can have it compile the kernel interface locally instead of looking for updates on nVidia's site (which won't work for anything I mentioned except having an old version of the driver). Just make sure you've installed the kernel sources and select 'no' when it asks to connect to nVidia's website.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Just Joined!
    It's claiming it can't load the nvidia.o module because kernel header files may be incorrect.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPDR
    It's claiming it can't load the nvidia.o module because kernel header files may be incorrect.
    What is ur kernel? Could we see ur X config file? does it work with the nv module?
    Before using nvidia module nv must work

Just Joined!
    How do I view my X config file?

Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPDR
    How do I view my X config file?
    Depending on what Mandrake 10.1 uses (I'm not sure; don't use it myself), your X config file is either:
    Code:
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    or
    Code:
    /etc/X11/XF86Config
    You can view it either with a text editor like Gedit or Emacs, or from the command line:
    Code:
    cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | less
    or
    Code:
    pico /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants